Cisco Aironet 1200, how do I intelligently expand my coverage using 2 access points

Hi,

My office currently has 1 cisco 1200 accesspoint for all wireless traffic.

- It uses a local MAC list to restrict access

- It uses 128bit WEP encryption

- it has a highgain antena

This Access point currently functions completely independent of any other network components.

Now I bought a second one, it's twin. In plain english: I want these two access points to act as one. I want one at each end of the Building, giving us more complete coverage using a single MAC access-list, one SSID, and one WEP key.

Now I need some help on configuring these 2 APs. I started by playing with WDS. I'm not even sure if that is the correct acronym to be fooling around with given my objective.

Any advice on what I should configure first would be greatly appreciated.

- Martin

Reply to
norsak2000
Loading thread data ...

WDS will kind of do what you want, but there are better ways -- I'm not sure what they are with specific Cisco equipment, though. Using non-Cisco stuff I just gave two APs the same SSID and the same WEP key and they integrated flawlessly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

If the AP's are going to be on the same subnet then you can use simple layer 2 roaming - use same SSID, same WEP key and same MAC address filter.

Make sure the the channel set for each AP are 5 channels apart.

Reply to
Merv

you could just copy the exact config file, change the hostname and channel and be all set.

Reply to
BG

Ok, this is workable.

I have like 40+ MAC addresses already in the first AP, so copying those was way more work than I wanted. Copying the config is so obvious that it never occurred to me.

So if I ....

- copy the config

- change the hostname and the ethernet IP address

- switch to a different channel

Then The only added problem is that new laptops need to have their MAC entered into 2 different devices. I can live with that. If I ever suspect that the are out of sync I can alwasy copy one config to the other.

Thanks for the input, I now know what I going to try.

- martin

BG wrote:

Reply to
norsak2000

was way more work than I wanted.

Copying the MAC address filter using CLI should have been very easy or were you using some sort of GUI? If so strongly suggest learning the CLI...

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.