Cisco 887 router

Hi, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to place my question

I'm trying to buy a Cisco 887 router to connect my office to the adsl2/2+ and in the future to vsdl line. I'm little puzzled between the Cisco887VA and the Cisco887VAM. What are the difference between POTS and Basic telephone service? Aren't they the same things?

Regards Giuseppe

Reply to
Giuseppe
Loading thread data ...

Well, it looks like not many persons are left to answer...

I can't answer that particular thing, it appears to depend on country. Better ask locally what system is used.

I do have a 887 and was considering to buy a 887VA for VDSL but in the end I decided to get a Draytek 2860n+. It can do most things the Cisco can do at 1/5 of the price, and as I was buying it as a consumer I also preferred the consumer service. (On the Draytek you get warranty and software updates, on the Cisco these cost even extra on the already much higher price)

But of course there may be special things that the Cisco can do and the Draytek can't. I required lots of features including VPN, policy routing, VLAN, multiple internal networks, IPv6, dual-band wireless with multiple SSID, fallback WAN connection and the Draytek does it all.

Reply to
Rob

I don't think that is a differentiation, probably just bad rewording.

Further on in the datasheet you have the listing

C887VA-K9 Cisco 887 VDSL/ADSL over POTS Multi-mode Router C887VAM-K9 Cisco 887 VDSL/ADSL Annex M over POTS Multi-mode Router

So, I think ADSL Annex M is the key difference. ITU G.992.5 Annex M lets the ISP provision a faster uplink channel (with corresponding decrease in downlink channel speed), depending on distance from DSLAM.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.