Cisco 886VA with T-Home VDSL

Hi,

I am actually running a Cisco 876 with ADSL over ISDN. Around Feb. I will get VDSL and I wonder if the Cisco 886VA supports the T-Home VDSL connection. From reading through several pages it looks like the C876 might work as well in combination with a VDSL modem but I consider buying a Cisco 886VA instead ov having two devices but I cannot find any hint if this will worl (espcially to setup VLAN ID7 as required)

Thanks in advance

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Gast
Loading thread data ...

I am nto really answering your question but here are a few ideas.

1. If your 876 has the ADVIPSERVICES feature set then I am pretty sure that you can use one of the 4 ehternet ports for the outside port by assigning the port to some VLAN and cnfiguring an address. You can also very likely make the port a trunk to force 802.1Q encapsulation of the traffic. I have checked an 877 and this is all OK looking there. No 876 around.

Config will look like this.

DON'T USE VLAN 1 since it will be sent over the trunk and cannot be stopped. In simple terms.

You have to create the vlans - this seems confusing on the 870 series and I forget it. router#vlan database ...

You want it to look like this.

#sh vlan-switch

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- ---------

1 default active 2 family active Fa3 3 test active Fa0, Fa1, Fa2

interface Vlan3 desc internal ip address 10.83.7.1 255.255.255.128 ! I don't use pppoe much and I forget if you put an ! address here or not.

interface range FastEthernet 1 - 3 switchport access vlan 3

interface Vlan2 description internet ip address xx.16.146.1 255.255.255.0

interface FastEthernet0 desc internet sw mode trunk sw trunk encapsulation dot1q sw trunk allowed vlan 7

1. I would doubt that there is any concept of VLAN tagging on DSL. My guess is that the VLAN 7 requirement if for the etheret between the router and a VDSL modem. Quite why anyone would consider this for broadband is a mystery.

1. I spotted this but haven't read it.
    formatting link
    "Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to configure PPPoE with VLAN tagging until today. I have found this document that describes the procedure:
    formatting link
    "

1. Cisco say 886VA supports VDSL2, they are usually right:-)

1. formatting link

Reply to
bod43

Hi,

Thanks a lot for you answers!

If your 876 has the ADVIPSERVICES feature set then I am pretty sure that you can use one of the 4 ehternet ports for the outside port by assigning the port to some VLAN and cnfiguring an address. You can also very likely make the port a trunk to force 802.1Q encapsulation of the traffic. I have checked an 877 and this is all OK looking there. No 876 around.

am pretty new (again) to Cisco IOS (did it more than 15 Years ago). I want to use Cisco at home again to learn again and start with some certifications ;-) From the docs so far I used it was a miricle for me how vlan tagging would be done on the C876. It looks like with VDSL

801.Q packets have to be used with VLNA ID7. In the mentime I noticed that the last modem which they seel (called Spedport 221) seems to take care of this so that other routers which do not support VLAN tagging (801.Q) might work. Telekom is as well servicing IPTV and therefore they use VLAN ID7 for Internet and VLAN ID 8 for IPTV (to adjust required QoS). 1.Config will look like this. DON'T USE VLAN 1 since it will be sent over the trunk and cannot be stopped. In simple terms. You have to create the vlans - this seems confusing on the 870 series and I forget it. router#vlan database ...You want it to look like this.

#sh vlan-switch

VLAN Name Status Ports ------------------------------------ --------- --------- 1 default active 2 family active Fa3 3 test active Fa0, Fa1, Fa2

interface FastEthernet0 desc internet sw mode trunk sw trunk encapsulation dot1q sw trunk allowed vlan 7

either use :"sw trunk allowed vlan add 7" or "sw trunk allowed vlan except 7" The confusing thing froim the docs is. Does this mean the Interface accepts packets ith VLAN ID 7 or does it tag as well packet to have VLAN ID 7 when seding it back to the VDSL modem on the Fa0 port? I found the following setting which seems only to be available with IOS 15.X ==================================================================================== bridge-dot1q encap provider-vlan-id (Enables the router to include the

802.1Q VLAN ID in the MAC PDU. The service provider VLAN ID range is from 1 to 4094.) Example: Router(config-if-atm-vc)# bridge-dot1q encap 10 ==================================================================================== In order to get this going I would have to buy the IOS + FLASH + RAM. Currently I am running "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T9.bin" and of course the VDSL modem Do you know which IOS would be delivered with the 886VA?
  1. I would doubt that there is any concept of VLAN tagging on DSL. My guess is that the VLAN 7 requirement if for the etheret between the router and a VDSL modem. Quite why anyone would consider this for broadband is a mystery.
  1. spotted this but haven't read it.
    formatting link
    "Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to configure PPPoE with VLAN tagging until today. I have found this document that describes the procedure: "
    formatting link
    ">> The URL seems to be not valid anymore but I followed the discussion and it seems to be exactlhy what I need except for the IPTV / IGMP stuff. Add and remove the VLAN ID7 Tag from / to the VDSL midem (but as mentioned already maybe not with the new VDSL modem
  2. Cisco say 886VA supports VDSL2, they are usually right
  1. formatting link
Reply to
Klaus Gast

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.