Cisco 881 is booting into rommon

Hi,

i have cisco 881 router, which shows now a odd behavior since it was stored in a closet for the last three month.

if the router was powerd down for longer than one day it boots into rommon. after a power cycle it comes up just fine with ios and the startup-config. but if i leave the router powerd off for the weekend it will boot into rommon again.

any hints? anything i could do and check or is this a case for my reseller?

ct,

Reply to
Markus Sonnenberg
Loading thread data ...

I would say: hardware defect. Probably bad capacitor or similar.

What you need to do yourself depends on your local legislation, and whether you are a consumer or a company. Depending on this, it can be that you need to prove it is defective or the reseller needs to prove it is OK.

Reply to
Rob

It looks as if it is "forgetting" its boot sequence. Open the case and look for some sort of a battery and replace it.

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

i've checked the battery and it shows 3,03V on my voltmeter. furthermore the battery is soldered to the pcb. so i guess it will be a case for the reseller.

ct,

Reply to
Markus Sonnenberg

Furthermore, your observation that it fails after a long poweroff and then works OK when you restart it is not consistent with a lost configuration due to empty battery.

Reply to
Rob

Just curious if this was resolved? Was it hardware? I've experienced this as well even though I confirmed there was a boot statement in the config and that the confreg was set to 0x02102.

Reply to
STaylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.