Cisco 871 VLANs / ACLs

Hello all. I'm rather a novice to Cisco ACL's, so forgive me if I word this question poorly.

Anyhow, I am using a Cisco 871 with Advanced IP Services as my home router and have setup two VLANs. Vlan1 is used for 2 desktop computers and Vlan2 is used to host the myriad wireless devices throughout. I want to create an ACL that permits ALL traffic (including return traffic) to transit between Vlan1 and Vlan2 if that traffic originates in Vlan1. I want NO traffic (except for return traffic) to transit between Vlan2 and Vlan1. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

My Vlan1 and Vlan2 definitions and current (rather simple) ACL are as follows:

interface Vlan1 description internal LAN ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0 ip access-group LANIn in ip verify unicast reverse-path no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip accounting access-violations ip flow ingress ip multicast boundary 30 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly ! interface Vlan2 description internal LAN ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0 ip access-group LANIn in ip verify unicast reverse-path no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip accounting access-violations ip flow ingress ip multicast boundary 30 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly

ip access-list extended LANIn deny ip 192.168.100.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.255 permit ip 192.168.100.0 0.0.0.255 any permit ip 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.255 any deny ip any any log-input

Thank you for your assistance!

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent
Loading thread data ...

ACL's don't have state. They can't track sessions to say this traffic originated here, and to let it back through. You only get a clear-cut does this packet match this rule? Yes let it through. No block it. The only notion of anything above packet level is it can see if the TCP Established flag is set or not.

It sounds like you really want to be using more advanced features, such as using CBAC or Zone-Based Firewall options of the Cisco router. You'll have to read up alot on either of those to get started.

The cisco is really like a big toolbox full of many different tools and stuff you can use to build what you want to do. Its not always obvious which tool you should pull out of the toolbox.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

hmmm - reflexive ACLs do though:)

vlan1 >--ALL-unrestricted--> vlan2 vlan1

Reply to
bod43

Yes, I was thinking that reflexive ACL's might work. I should have some time later this evening to do some experimentation with your suggestions. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

Reply to
Vincent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.