Cisco 851 dhcp server - lease renewals

I have an 851 acting as the dhcp server for a small test network. When I force a dhcp renew for a client, the client receives a different IP address. Is this normal behavior? I would have expected to get back the same IP address for the existing lease at the time of the renewal. The number of clients is small compared to the size of the dhcp pool.

Thanks

Reply to
kevin.friday
Loading thread data ...

~ I have an 851 acting as the dhcp server for a small test network. When ~ I force a dhcp renew for a client, the client receives a different IP ~ address. Is this normal behavior? I would have expected to get back the ~ same IP address for the existing lease at the time of the renewal. The ~ number of clients is small compared to the size of the dhcp pool. ~ ~ Thanks

That's pretty much up to the client. If the client attempts to renew or require its old address, then we'll let it have it, assuming it's free. If the client doesn't specify, then I believe we'll give him the next free one (i.e. WON'T give him the last freed one.)

If you want to make sure that a given client always gets the same IP address, then give him his own scope based upon his client-id.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.