Cisco 801 and a hub

I am getting a 801 which I plan on plugging into my wifi router. I plan on using it as the WAN device and connected to the WAN port.

As I am dialup in a very expensive country, I don't want the ISDN ppp to go live automatically. Can I set it to manual, or can I set hours between which it can automatically dialup. I tried searching for an answer on the Cisco site but could not find an answer.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Rima
Loading thread data ...

Hi Sean,

when you config isdn dial on demand you have to configure which protocol can open the connection. The command is dialer-list dialer-group protocol protocol-name {permit | deny | list access-list-number | access-group} for example dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit opens the isdn connection as soon as an ip packet is arriving the router with routing table entry for isdn. But instead of defining "any" ip you can define an access list. In this access list you allow any ip packets, too. But you can use time based access lists. There you can define exactly when the isdn is allowed to be established. Description of tbacl:

formatting link
Please note that the access list, bound to the dialer-list does not limit packets at the isdn interface. The dialer-list feature defines only the packets which are interesting for the isdn connection, i. e. which can open the isdn line. As soon as the isdn connection is established all other packets are send over the isdn line, too. If you want to limit ip packets for sending over isdn you have to bound an access list to the isdn interface in the interface configuration mode.

Other possibity: Just define an access list where you only allow packets to an specific ip destination. And you wrote a batch file with a neverending ping command. As soon as you want access over isdn you start the batch file. As long as the batch file sends ping packets, the isdn line will be open. If you stop the batch file, the isdn line is brought down after the dialer idle timeout.

Hopefully my english were correct an understandable ...

Regards from munich Stefan Emilius

Sean Rima schrieb:

Reply to
Stefan Emilius

Stefan Emilius laid this down on his screen :

formatting link

Thanks, that is very helpfull and I think I will use a batch to ping a site or stop the autoloading of Trillian and use that as the connect script :)

Sean

Reply to
Sean Rima

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.