Cisco 350 AP 12.05 as repeater help

Hello, not sure if this is the correct group, but here goes... i've got a Cisco 350 Series AP 12.05, which i want to use simply as a repeater. I have a wireless router which i must use as he main hub as this also manages my DSL connection. It does however specifially allow other wireless devices so act as repeaters. I want to use the Cisco as a repeater in my attic, but without a specific LAN connection, as there is not one there. So, question is, can i configure my Cisco to get an address from the main router, and at the same time simply act as a repeater for other further away clients? I guess i would turn off the ethernet side of the cisco as i would not be using this? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Reply to
tkjjkt
Loading thread data ...

Hi

This link may be of some use

formatting link
Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk schrieb:

If your WLAN Router is not a Cisco Aironet device, this won't work.

An Aironet Repeater can only associate to another Aironet AP/Bridge/Repeater. Enabling the Aironet Extensions is mandatory.

The throughput of stations associated to a repeater is much less than the half. The repeater's radio transmits and receives on the same channel and it must be within the coverage of the root AP's cell. So there will be many collisions or the overhead of a RTS/CTS protocol.

Reply to
Uli Link

Thanks both for the help. So, i guess i can forget this idea as my base WLAN router is not a Cisco (Fritzbox)? What if i do have a LAN line to the Cisco, would this combination work with a non-Cisco bas WLAN router? Any other ideas how i can extend my range with the equipment i have (Fritzbox 7050 and the Cisco)? Thanks for the help all.

Reply to
tkjjkt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk schrieb:

Yes. Why not? The AIR-352 AP is an excellent 802.11b AP that will work without pain with any WLAN client. So the two WLAN APs (the one integrated in your AVM Fritzbox and the Aironet) are working standalone. Seamless roaming may work or not, if this is in issue in your setup.

Reply to
Uli Link

So, can i still set up the Cisco with DHCP, being a client to the Fritzbox, and getting its address/gateway from the Fritzbox? How would clients to the Cisco then get their addresses, etc? Would they get them also from the Fritzbox, but by way of the Cisco? I think i'm confusing myself now slowly .....

Reply to
tkjjkt

Well

What happens when you try it ?

Reply to
Steve Ray

When i do this, the Cisco gets an adress from the Fritzbox, no problem. However, the WLAN of the cisco says it has no link, see the paste below. Part of the problem might be that the Fritzbox is setup with WEP. However, i have tried to enter the WEP key into the Cisco, but it does not store it. When i refresh the page, the WEP key is alway gone. BTW, before i had the Fritzbox i had the Cisco setup as my standalone WLAN, with WEP, and all worked great. In fact, the Cisco has a much larger range than any other WLAN AP I've used, which is why i want to get this configured.

"Network Ports Diagnostics

Device Status Mb/s IP Addr. MAC Addr. Ethernet Up 100.0 TheBusyHomeRepeater 00409654cb47 Repeater Radio No Link 11.0 TheBusyHomeRepeater 00409654cb47 "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

----- [Home][Map][Login][Network][Associations][Setup][Logs][Help] Cisco 350 Series AP 12.05 =AE Copyright 2002 Cisco Systems, Inc. credits

Reply to
tkjjkt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.