Cisco 2950 Switch VLAN Config

Can you have an untagged vlans on this switch and how do you define it?

Thanks in advanced

Reply to
RG
Loading thread data ...

Yes, pretty much all of Cisco's switches support VLAN'ing..

If you mean put a port into access mode..

interface FastE 0/1 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 403

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Yes. Wouldn't this mean that the switch's port fa0/1 sends and receives packets that only contain vlan id 403 tag and no others vlans.

What I am looking for is in addition to this...

interface FastE 0/2 some untagged definition of vlan 403

and

interface FastE 0/3 default vlan

where fa0/2 could communicate with fa0/1 and fa0/3. In other words, packets will not contain vlan id tag when being transmitted.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
RG
  • RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:

As untagged vs. tagged traffic is only important if you trunk it somewhere else, you should change the native vlan of that trunk to whatever you want. Traffic from the native vlan is untagged and only possible if you use dot1q.

luke

Reply to
Lukas Schratz

Great. Now that you mention trunking... I would like to put 2621 router between the vlans I mentioned. Based on what you are saying this should work. Can I trunk more than one vlan on the same port and how would I do it?

Thanks again for your help

Reply to
RG
  • RG hackte in den Rechenknecht:

Of course, that's what trunking is for. For how to implement: Just search for "Router on a stick" - yes really, that's the more or less official name this setup got. You will get a plethora of examples. In short: Switchport set to trunk and on the router you configure one subinterface per vlan with the appropriate tag - best practice is that your tags match the number of the subinterface.

luke

Reply to
Lukas Schratz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.