Cheapest Cisco Router for BGP?

What's the absolute cheapest Cisco solution to handle the whole BGP table? I've been told that BGP is not cpu-intensive, so the main thing you need is RAM. So what's the cheapest Cisco router that can be configured with 2 10/100 interfaces and handled the whole table?

--Eric

Reply to
Eric Robinson
Loading thread data ...

I don't know who told you that but scanning a routing table can be a real cpu hog when you have one or more full feeds.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

One whole table or two? Inbound soft reconfiguration?

Steve

formatting link

Reply to
www.networking-forum.com

On 23.03.2005 18:57 Eric Robinson wrote

I don't know if it is the cheapest, but a 1841 with 384 RAM will handle a lot of sessions. The CISCO1841 comes with 2 10/100 interfaces and 128 MB and is $1,395 GPL. You have to add some $$ for a BGP capable version and some other $$ for additional RAM.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

I wouldn't even try it on anything less than 3745's loaded up with RAM. BTW, scanning the routing tables can eat up CPUs.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

I am currently running 2 3725's connected to 2 different ISP's. Both routers have 256mb of memory. They recieve full routes using 50% of memory and about

17 - 20% processor. This is with 10mb to the >
Reply to
smoove

On 25.03.2005 00:26 Hansang Bae wrote

I've a 1841 with 384 MB RAM taking full upstream from 4 ISPs and another

6 partial (~50k pfx). Memory usage is at 64%, cpu is
Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.