changed state to up changed state to down FastEthernet LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN

Good evening,

My LAN management guys are reporting that " interface is down with our Cisco switch " . I have checked the log files on the Cisco switch and I found the following errors:

23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up 23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down 23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up

The interface is down for few seconds and comes up again multiple times.

Any ideas? Cheers, Rob

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
surrealarmada
Loading thread data ...

Bad or loose cable? Invalid settings (duplex mismatch or something the like)?

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

I have some nodes which do this when they reboot. First, etherenet comes up "default", then the powerup script defines the ethernet port and the port temporarily goes down, then as the OS (VMS in my case) comes up, at one point, it takes over the ethernet port and it also goes down for a second or two.

no logging event addr-flap carrier-delay 10

Will help. It basically tells the switch to wait 10 seconds before declaring that the ethernet link is down. The first one reduces the number of syslog messages being issued.

Reply to
JF Mezei

Sorry about that . addr-flap doesn't seem to work. And I can't find a reference for it either (although my switch says it supports it.

SWITCH1(config-if)#logging event ? addr-flap Enable and Disable Address Flap messages link-status UPDOWN and CHANGE messages subif-link-status Sub-interface UPDOWN and CHANGE messages

Obviously, link-status is the one to really remove it. It seems to generate 2 messages (LINEPROTO-5 and LINK-3 messages) whenever the link changes.

Reply to
JF Mezei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.