CDP Application

(Cross posted into alt.certification.cisco)

Guys

Recently my very old and aged copy of Cisco Works V3 running on Windows NT V4 has died and I no longer have the available cash to go out and buy the latest version of CW Campus.

Apart from all the wonderful functionality inside CW I mainly used the network viewer so I could draw out the network topology which I believe relied solely on CDP. This also proved a valuable teaching resource when showing other techies exactly what the front of a Cat5 looked like when you were no where near it. I am aware of Cisco Network Administrator available FOC from CCO but need to map out around 300+ Cisco devices and I believe CNA is limited to 15 nodes

Is anyone aware of any application similar to this which will draw the network. I use SolarWinds on my desktop but am not happy with this for drawing out the topology as it VERY often gets routes and links wrong, as does WhatsUp

In anticipation

Steve

--------- We don't stop playing because we get old We get old because we stop playing

Reply to
Steve Ray
Loading thread data ...

I had one of my team members write a Visual Basic app for me. basically it does the following in Visio

1) Given a source IP 2) It's gateway 3) Destination IP

do the following

1) Show all redundant links (prints multiple paths if it's in the routing table 2) Show the exact cef path (sho ip cef exact-route blah blah) 3) Identify L2 ports 4) Identify port channels 5) Identify all interface errors by making the connectors "turn red" 6) collect interface stats (sho int and sho ip int) 7) Print the routing protocol in use 8) Print the interface IPs 9) Collect the "sho ver" and "sho clock" 10) Sho/identify various QoS settings

Basically, it does an end to end discovery so you can look at all relevant configs in one shot (in visio).

Let me know if anyone is interested. Please put "The Tool" in the subject when you email me.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Hansang Bae wrote: [snip]

Ooops. Forgot, it also does GRE tunnel discovery. Its in beta, but if you want try it, shoot me an email (don't forget the subject line)

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Hansang

I'd be very interested in helping to further beta test your application. I attempted a reply-to-sender and got an NDR

Please email me directly at

s (dot) a (dot) ray (at) NtlWorld (dot) com

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

Steve, sent you a reply, but for other's benefit, don't forget to rot13 my address.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.