CCNP recert

(originaly posted at alt.certification.cisco)

My CCNP expires Oct 2006. I got it through the 640 series exams. Is it worth getting the 642 series study guides now?

Or will they be superseded by the time my recert is due?

Open ended question I know, but worth asking?

Simon M.

Reply to
big si
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I just recertified for CCDP, which is the same recert-exam you need to do in order to recert CCNP. I can tell you that there are quite some differences between the 640 exam content and the 642 exam content. If you're not too familiar with the recent networking evolution I'd suggest you to study for the exam using the lastest available study materials. If it's wise to go for the study guides right now? I don't know. Cisco might change the exams again witch obsoletes you study materials again.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

You seem to have two options.

Buy the current material, the 642 exams are quite new anyway, and keep an eye open for announcements of changes. Take the exam before it becomes unavailable.

or

Wait to see if a new exam comes along. If one does wait until the old exam in no longer available, try to buy books for the new one, discover that they will not be available until after your expiry date. Buy whole set of new books and take all of the exams again.

Sorry if this comes accross as somewhat cynical. c'est la vie.

You may of course feel that some of the material has not changed much and you do not need to get all of the books.

Reply to
anybody43

Go to this link and it will answer your questions

formatting link
Basically, if you completed the 640 exams you can still take the 642 exams and they will count towards the same CCNP cert. Cisco will let you give at least 1 year before they discontinue an exam, and as of now, the 642 exams are still going.

I finished 3 of the 640 exams but never finished the Support exam. I'm studying for it right now. Good luck

Reply to
Darth Tyrannus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.