CCIE level problem - Serial Port - Check Point UTM >> Cisco Terminal Server

We have an issue with connectivity between a checkpoint UTM firewall and a cisco terminal server.

When connecting to the UTM serial port via hyperterminal we can see the boot messages (POST).

When using the Cisco terminal server we see the Check Point device send an 'AT' command on the serial and the first thing we see is the grub menu - meaning we cannot break into the BIOS or select a break key for PXE booting.

Console redirection is enabled in the BIOS and we have tried numerous setting on the line config.

What we have tried without success:

no flush-at-activation flowcontrol hardware modem DTR-active transport input all

The pertinent GRUB config is as follows:

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1 terminal --silent --timeout=5 console serial

We just don't understand why this is happening. Other devices work ok on the same term serv, same port, with the same config. I've tried terminal types: vt100, ansi, vt220 and also tried with flowcontrol set to off, software and hardware - none of which gave any joy.

Here are the router details:

#show ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Sat 02-Feb-02 03:36 by kellythw Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80989870

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

lon99bgdt11 uptime is 7 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5d.bin"

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x300) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory. Processor board ID JAD060706XA (2626773323) M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 32 terminal line(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Line Config line 48 session-timeout 60 no exec no exec-banner terminal-type ansi transport input all transport output none telnet transparent stopbits 1 flowcontrol hardware

And line output:

#show line 48 Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise Overruns Int

• 48 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 14 13
0/0 -

Line 48, Location: "", Type: "vt220" Length: 84 lines, Width: 130 columns Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600, no parity, 1 stopbits, 8 databits Status: Ready, Connected, Active, CTS Raised Capabilities: EXEC Suppressed, Telnet Transparent Mode, Hardware Flowcontrol In, Hardware Flowcontrol Out, No login banner Modem state: Ready Modem hardware state: noCTS* noDSR* DTR RTS Special Chars: Escape Hold Stop Start Disconnect Activation ^^x none - - none Timeouts: Idle EXEC Idle Session Modem Answer Session Dispatch 00:10:00 01:00:00 none not set Idle Session Disconnect Warning never Login-sequence User Response 00:00:30 Autoselect Initial Wait not set Modem type is unknown. Session limit is not set. Time since activation: 00:19:32 Editing is enabled. History is enabled, history size is 10. DNS resolution in show commands is enabled Full user help is disabled Allowed input transports are pad v120 telnet rlogin udptn. Allowed output transports are none. Preferred transport is telnet. No output characters are padded No special data dispatching characters

Reply to
FixIT
Loading thread data ...

My guess is the port on the terminal server isn't taking input until DTR comes active. Your BIOS is leaving it low, and you start to see output once grub starts up (and sets up the serial port, and raises DTR).

I don't have a commserver handy, and you didn't say what model you're using, so I can't give you specific configurations to try. But look around the "modem" part of the line config and see if you can make it a three-wire (TX, RX, and ground) configuration. That is, leave off both modem control lines as well as hardware flow lines. This should leave you as close as possible to simply seeing the bytes as they're framed into the commserver's UART, which would be a good starting point. You can then start turning stuff on until your BIOS output goes missing again.

Andy Valencia

Reply to
vandys

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.