Catalyst 3750G / Network design question

Hello and thanks,

I have a vendor that is setting up our network and I am not sure if something they are doing is a good idea. I however am not Cisco certified so my voice carries less weight. I am looking for some opinions that I can pass along.

They are setting up a 3750 with two VLANS, VLAN 100 and VLAN 200. VLAN

100 will be inbetween the ISP and our firewall. VLAN 200 will be where all of our internal servers reside. So Internet>>>3750 Vlan 100>>>>firewall>>>>3750 Vlan 200(core switch with all servers)

This design seems poor to me, because we are having a core switch on the net not protected by fwall. It seems like a DoS attack could hammer our core switch, since it is not protected by the firewall. Is this correct? Also seems like it would be easier to hack the switch which will give you to access to internal network. Is this correct?

Seems like better solution is Internet>>>Switch1>>>firewall>>>Switch2(core switch).

Looking for explanation that I can take to meeting to have them make a change if necessary?

Thanks again, Roy

Reply to
rozment
Loading thread data ...

You're very right for being concerned. Their design goes against best practice and is simply dangerous. VLAN separation does not a firewall make but in their topology it has become one. Their design shows they have less than a basic understanding of security.

VLAN separation isn't even a minimum level of security for 'trusted' internal LANs let alone the Internet.

Your design is of course the better solution.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

ensure they implement your design with two separate switches

Reply to
Merv

The proposed installation is not best practise.

Not that I usually object to anyone spending money on network equipment, however the 3750 seems overkill for the application described - that is - two static VLANs.

Consider a 2960G (all GBE) for the inside and a 2950 (if they still do them) for the outside, unless of course you have a GBE internet connection.

I would guess that you will still have change.

If you need Routing at wire rate then of course the 3750 is an excellent choice. Maybe its PoE that you need.

Reply to
Bod43

That's a good point bod43. Even with a base IOS in a 3750 you still have stub routing and other L3 features not needed where a basic L2 switch will do the job. Gbit is definitely questionably. Even a 2960 10/100 sounds sufficient. getting back to the security .. it's disturbing that people that should know better are actually recommending that sort of topology.

While I'm a 'network engineer' by profession and my job doesn't involve direct responsibility for 'security' I've been around enough (15+ years) to know that nobody that wants to be taken seriously recommends vlan separation as a layer of security. It's use it strictly limited to separation of broadcast domains. Sure you apply at least acl type restrictions when you need to have 'some form' of restrictions internally but never rely on vlans for 'security'.

BernieM

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Thanks all for your replies. Found an article on SANS.org recommending not to use Vlans as a mechanism for enforcing security. Unfortunately was written in 2000.

Well thanks again for your messages, Roy

Reply to
rozment

if you use the Cat 6k firewall switch module, then all segregation is done via VLAN.....

A lot of this came out of some tests where an engineer can build a packet to jump from 1 VLAN to another.

But

1. you need kit that doesnt stop this happening - at least the higher end Cisco switches (ie 3560 / 3750 / Cat 6k) are proof against this attack.
  2. the attacker needs layer 2 access to the network since they need to manipulate MAC headers and vlan tags - which isnt normally directly accessible across the Internet.

The assumption here is that you dont have routing enabled between segregated vlans.

A much more sensible reason to avoid security barriers using vlans is "ease of misconfiguration" - multiple secure VLANs on a switch with internal routing support is a recipe for future problems from finger trouble....

FWIW we use both options at work - some "heavy" security is done by physically separating networks and a firewall link between them.

But when you need lots of security zones and they are at comparable security levels, then using VLAN segregation is appropriate and much easier than managing dozens of different stackables (esp as Cisco dont make small switches with dual power supplies) - YMMV of course.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.