Can't figure out simple routing between 2 Windows domains

I apologize for such a newbie question, but I'm not a routing person but because of staffing issues and some stringent time pressures I have to implement this myself.

I'm lost on how to get a very simple routing setup working for 2 Windows domains. The first domain is domain1.com on subnet

192.168.1.0/24 and is on the 1st floor of the building, on the second floor I have domain2.com with a subnet of 192.168.2.0/24. The two networks are physically connected with a single ethernet cable. I have set up a trust relationship between the two domains, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

At first I thought I could just directly connect each switch in each network together with the cable running between them. But this didn't work because the computers on the two domains are on different subnets. So now I'm thinking all I need is a router with a static routing table set up. I'm not sure how to set this up or if this is the correct solution. Merging the two subnets is not an option either... I'm confused on how to do a routing setup that would work, and all of the examples on the internet I can find with static routes show two routers, one on each network. Do I have to have 2 routers to do this? It seems excessive for such a simple setup, and I'm very tight on money at the moment. Also I don't need any kind of fancy firewalling between the networks, I want all traffic destined for one to transparently be routed to the other and vice versa. Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Allen
Loading thread data ...

A single router with two Ethernet / FastEthernet interfaces will suffice - one interface cabled to each switch.

All PC will have need to have their IP default gateway configured properly in order to send "off-net" packets to the router for forwarding.

Since both subnets will be connected to the same router you should not require any static routes as the router will have an IP address assignment in each subnet and thus will know how to reach the two subnets.

You could try starting out with a Windows-based PC into which you install an extra Ethernet NIC and then enable IP routing.

Reply to
Merv

You need one router with an interface in each network.

As the link is ethernet, this could be as simple as adding a network card to one of the windows box and joining the two subnets/switches (and ethernet segments) at that box, giving each card an IP in the right network, and turning on routing. That's a pretty nasty way to do it, but sosts very little, and should be easy. You then set the default gateway of each subnet to be the IP of the windows box.

Alternatively, if the switches you have have the required software, you could turn on routing on one switch- but that's a bit harder if you don't know how to do it, and relies on you having capable software.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

OBTW what is the make and model of the two Ethernet switches ?

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the response. In my case both networks also have their own internet connections, which is the default gateway on each host on each network.

So in order for a PC on 192.168.1.0 to talk to a PC on 192.168.2.0 with the router having address' 192.168.1.62 and 192.168.2.62 I'd add a static route like so?:

add route 192.168.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.62

I've got an Allied Telesyn AR-410 router that should do the rout> A single router with two Ethernet / FastEthernet interfaces will

Reply to
Chris Allen

Thanks. I do have a router so I'm going to try and use it. But this is very handy information in case I need a fallback plan. Thanks again.

Reply to
Chris Allen

No, no need. If the router has an address in 192.168.1.x and

192.168.2.x, and the PCs have that as it's default gateway, it'll just work.

Yep, provided the mask is right. That's what the subnet mask is for- it defines what ranges of addresses are valid on that interface.

It should just work, as it has interfaces in both subnets. It's only if you needed to route elsewhere as well that you need static routes (or a dynamic routing protocol like RIP).

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.