Can I Use WS-X4648-RJ45V+E Blade in 4006 Chassis?

We are still using several old 4006 chassis in our closets. They work fine, have redundant power, and we have a few spare WS-X4148-RJ switch blades just in case we lose one somewhere -- so there's been no real motivation to upgrade.

Until now. One department wants VoIP. So we are looking into PoE switches. The old 4006 "supports" PoE, but I think I'd have to buy the modules off e-bay or something like that, which I'm reluctant to do.

So I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to use an x4648 PoE blade in the

4006 chassis. I'm guessing this won't work, but I can't tell from looking at the specs if the power on the 4648 is actually on the blade itself, or if it still resides on the chassis, say a 4506.

In short, I'm just looking to see if there is some way to use a single PoE switch blade in my 4006 chassis, which does NOT currently have the auxiliary power shelf or the power entry module.

Thanks

Reply to
Mark C
Loading thread data ...

I can't answer your exact question, but running the older X4148-RJ45V blades in a 4500 chassis will not light up the PoE capabilities of the ports unless I have the proper power supply modules in the chassis that supported supplying DC power to PoE modules. Not all power supplies support PoE in the 4500 either. The ethernet portion of the port works fine, but once it starts to receive a PoE request, it'll refuse to do it because it doesn't have the power capacity, and that will be logged.

I'd generalize the same would be true on the 4006 without the auxilary power shelf add-on option.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That makes sense. Thank you.

Reply to
Mark C

It's even easier than that - this line card requires -E chassis and -E supervisor. 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R-E and 4510R-E with either Sup6-E or Sup6L-E.

Since money seems to be a problem, standalone PoE switch might be a better solution. Something along the lines of Catalyst Express line...

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

If you don't need extra ethernet ports, there are multiport midline PoE injectors which will simply add PoE capabilities to existing ports.

Check power requirements carefully.

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.