Can a Cisco router act as a syslog *server*?

Hi,

I have a strange question: Is it possible to config a Cisco 800 series router a as a syslog server?

I know it can log to a syslog server, but can I use it the other way around?

I have non-cisco network device wich sometimes crashes, and I want to monitor it's logs, However I do not want to run a PC day an night for receiving syslog messages. (very low traffic too)

Can the cisco 857 be configured to accept syslog messages from other hosts? (a.k.a. be a syslog server receiving on UDP port 514)

Greetings, S.

Reply to
Goldrider
Loading thread data ...

Don't think so.

Reply to
Chris

Nor me, however -

The following might assist

1. If you set up an access list to match the syslog traffic with logging you could at least determine the times that syslogs were generated.

1. If you set up a packet debug you might see more info but not much I wouldn't think. deb ip pac 199 det access-list 199 to match syslog

2. If you were able to use the new packet capture facility such that the packets could be stored locally and then subsequently exported or viewed you might be able to simulate a syslog server. Depends just how desperate you are. Not sure if 857 supports this feature or not.
877 with Advanced IP Services feature set does. Adv. IP serv. does not run on 857.
formatting link
12.4(11)T or later.

1. does not affect system CPU significantly

2 and 3 will I would imagine.
Reply to
bod43

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Will save your posting.

Greetings, Steven.

Reply to
Goldrider

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.