CallManager Express "No Phones Found" newbie problem

Sorry if this is a duplicate post: my browser crashed.

I have a very basic setup: a Cisco 2691 running CME 2.3, a Cisco 3550 PoE switch, and two phones, a 7940 and a 7960. They are not connected to anything else. Anyway, when I access the CME GUI and select "Configure > Phones", I get a "Phones Not Found" message. Trying to add a phone generates a phone not found message.

I've reset the phones to factory config, and I've reloaded the switch, the AIM module and the router. Nothing seems to get CME to see the phones.

The phones are getting IP addresses from DHCP (configured on the router), and I have separate voice and data vlans configured on the router and switch. I can ping the phones OK, and they are receiving the correct IP addresses.

I've Googled this problem, but can't find anything. Any help for a newbie? Thanks.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

The phones have not yet registered with Call Manager Express.

Ensure that the phones have a SCCP image instead of a SIP image. Ensure that DHCP is providing the 150 option for a TFTP server. On that TFTP server, possibly the CME router, add the SCCP image file for your phones. Create and add a file called OS79XX.TXT which only contains the filename of that image file. When the phones boot, they will acquire DHCP information and get the OS79XX.TXT file which will then provide the name of the next file which they will get. Once the SCCP image is loaded, the phones will reset and then check the TFTP server specified by DHCP option 150 for where to load their configuration files. The configuration files will be generated by CME (at least in CME version 3.X) and will instruct the phones to use your CME router as the Call Manager server.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Thanks. I "solved" the issue by just starting over and running the telephony setup again. Since this is a test box and not production, that worked OK, but if I run into the issue again, I'll have your instructions to guide me.

Reply to
ttripp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.