C837 ADSL firmware

Hi,

Can anyone please advise the latest ADSL firmware (adsl_alc_firmware.bin) for the C837 (20150 chipset)?

I currently have 3.9.220 that's embedded in IOS 12.4(25b) but I've seen reference to 3.9.221 existing and I presume there must also be more recent versions since that dates right back to 2006.

I've tried asking Cisco via a service request but so far they've only suggested I install firmware that's intended for the C877, so I'm hoping Usenet is more fruitful!

Best regards,

Reply to
Mark Knight
Loading thread data ...

I didnt find any info about this firmware 3.9.221 in Cisco web pages.

formatting link
Is there a way to load different firmware apart from that embedded with the Cisco IOS Software? A. Yes. This option is available for the ADSL platforms (857, 876, 877, and

877M) to allow independent ADSL firmware upgrade to resolve ADSL interoperability related issues. There's no need to upgrade Cisco IOS software when the issue can be resolved with a different version of firmware.

formatting link

Reply to
make

In message , make writes

Indeed, but various historic posts including this one reference 3.9.221:

formatting link
I'm assuming not all posts make it onto the various Cisco external sites.

Best regards,

Reply to
Mark Knight

The firmware for

1 .Cisco 857
  1. Cisco 876, Cisco 877
  2. Cisco 1801, Cisco 1802
  3. HWIC-1ADSL1, HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST
  4. Cisco 1801-M, and Cisco 877-M

and 836 (ver 4.xxxx) is here

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

No mention of 837.

Have you tried

int atm 0 dsl firmware secondary

formatting link
Maybe updates are available from alcatel?

Reply to
bod43

I have searched for firmware for the 877 a while ago and I found the file adsl_alc_20190_4.0.018.bin via the cisco site. I installed it on the router (it needs to be renamed...) and it has improved the performance of the ADSL modem dramatically over the builtin code in IOS (which was a 3.x version).

No idea if one can use this software on an 837.

Reply to
Rob

Pretty doubtful since the ADSL chip on an 837 is a Globespan, not an Alcatel.

Newer IOS revs come with their own firmware images mainly, upgrading to such-and-such IOS image may give you newer firmware than you can find seperately.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

We bought the 877 new about 3 months ago. It came with an IOS in which ntp was broken because of a hardware change. Someone on this group advised me to update the IOS, I did that and the ntp was working, but in both IOS versions the ADSL firmware is the same ancient one.

After downloading the newer version 4 firmware and installing it separately in the flash, the problem we had with ADSL (at first the line is OK but SNR is decreasing all the time and after some time a re-train is forced) was completely solved.

I don't know why those boxes are shipped with IOS not matching the hardware, and old ADSL firmware. But fortunately it was fixable.

Reply to
Rob

Right, sometimes from IOS rev to rev, the firmware rev stays the same. But they can ship a new card firmware in a newer IOS rev as well. Some future IOS rev you upgrade to may have a newer bug fixed one compared to what you are force running now.

Such is the nature of things. :(

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hello I have some C837

I can confirm that I used the following DSL Firmware on it (using as external firmwares)

adsl_alc_20190_3.0.10.bin

adsl_alc_firmware_837_3-9-221

I used both succesfully.

I don't know honestly if the 3.0.10 is newer than 3.9.221

I need IOS 12.4(25b) for 837 and for 831

we could exchange :))

Reply to
Elia S.

Thanks for that. Cisco seem to now put new ADSL firmware on the main software download page. Of course this means that you need an account to see it.

The ftp site is still there but there is newer firmware on the main site now.

Reply to
bod43

Remember that you need to rename the file (remove the version number) otherwise it will not work.

Reply to
Rob

Hello Everyone, I am using flash:c836-k9o3s8y6-mz.123-11.T5.bin and DSL output is as mentioned below: #sh dsl int at0 ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US) Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME) DSL Mode: AnnexB (Standard) ITU STD NUM: 0x01 0x01 Vendor ID: 'ALCB' 'BDCM' Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x6291 Vendor Country: 0x00 0xB5 Capacity Used: 94% 88% Noise Margin: 9.0 dB 8.0 dB Output Power: 19.0 dBm 12.0 dBm Attenuation: 10.0 dB 14.5 dB Defect Status: None None Last Fail Code: None Selftest Result: 0x00 Subfunction: 0x0B Interrupts: 2360 (1 spurious) Activations: 270 Init FW: embedded Operartion FW: embedded SW Version: 4.10.1 FW Version: 0x1A04

Interleave Fast Interleave Fast Speed (kbps): 7616 0 896 0 Reed-Solomon EC: 108 0 742 224 CRC Errors: 3553 0 2006 125 Header Errors: 92 0 1586 769 Bit Errors: 0 0 BER Valid sec: 0 0 BER Invalid sec: 0 0

LOM Monitoring : Disabled

PLEASE SUGGEST IF I CAN UPGRADE THE FW WITH 4.0.10 OR ANOTHER VERSION. dsl KEEPS FLAPPING AND GIVING ME NIGHTMARES. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Reply to
kuldeepsharma.1987

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.