Bridge warning?

I am looking for the IOS and CatOS command that will either log a warning message or shut down the interface, if a user were to attach a mini-hub or switch. I had the command around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Suggestions?

Thanks Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy
Loading thread data ...

There's nothing that could cover this situation totally.

You can enable BPDU guard, in which case if a user hooks up a switch that talked STP, and it started sending out BPDUs, your switch would shutdown the port that is receiving BPDUs.

formatting link
But if a user hooks up a hub, or a switch that is set to not broadcast BPDUs, there isn't anything to detect or way to shut down.

The other thing to do is to use MAC address port security. Limiting the port to one MAC address per port.

formatting link
Which would break for my workstation, since I run several vmware instances on it, each of which come with their own MAC addresses.

So, either of these used seperately or together can get you covered for the most part, but there are still ways to to get around each, or problems resulting from overuse.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thank you very much for the response. This is exactly what I was racking my brain for, but couldn't think of it.

Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.