BGP redistribute route-map question.

------- I have a customer that has the config below. I would never write it like this, and use a standard ACL or distribute list instead. but to my surprise, this is allowing every static route to go be advertised.. I would think that "permit ip host 0.0.0.0 host 0.0.0.0" would get no matches and that the explicit deny would deny everything. But NOOO... the acl is matching everything.

Can someone explain this?

Cisco# router bgp 65001 redistribute static route-map redist-stat

route-map redist-stat permit 10 match ip address ALLOW-Default

ip access-list extended ALLOW-Default permit ip host 0.0.0.0 host 0.0.0.0

Thorofare#sh ip route 167.219.88.146 Routing entry for 167.219.88.146/32 Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0 Redistributing via bgp 65001 Advertised by bgp 65001 route-map redist-stat snip

Thorofare#sh access-l ALLOW-Default Extended IP access list ALLOW-Default 10 permit ip host 0.0.0.0 host 0.0.0.0 (1492680 matches)

Thanks, Crzzy1

-------

Reply to
crzzy1
Loading thread data ...

Would anyone like to take a stab at how I am getting so many matches on my ACL?

Thanks, Crzzy1

Reply to
crzzy1

Would anyone like to take a stab at how I am getting so many matches on my ACL?

Thanks, Crzzy1

Beats me. Almost seems that the matches really coincide with the implicit deny all at the end. Don't understand why these host matches get a match, either.

I'd like to see what happens with a "deny" on line 10 instead of a permit, and a "permit any any" at line 20.......

Reply to
John Agosta

It could be that "host 0.0.0.0" actually is the internal coding for "any" in an access list. Although I would expect that it would come back as "permit ip any any" on show running-config.

Reply to
Rob

Ah wait a minute!!! Surely these should be standard ACLs? What does ANY extended ACL mean in the context of route filtering? What is the source, what is the dest.?

I have written the stuff below now so I will leave it in but I can't see that it is relevant given the above.

Might just be a bug, after all who is going to test such an ACL?

10 permit ip host 0.0.0.0 host 0.0.0.0 is synonymous with 10 permit ip 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ie all zeros IP address with no wildcard bits.

I suppose that the BGP process might interpret that as a default route or something but that would be a bug.

Surely the answer is to get rid of that line in the ACL and put in what is required?

Usually all routes would be of course perm ip 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

zeros IP address with all bits wildcarded.

Reply to
bod43

Ah wait a minute!!! Surely these should be standard ACLs? What does ANY extended ACL mean in the context of route filtering? What is the source, what is the dest.?

I'm stumped as to why you are seeing so many matches. But as to your other question..... Extended ACLs have always ben a tool used in route filtering.

For instance, if I wanted to look for any route at all which had an exact msk of /19:

access-list 199 permit ip 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 255.255.224.0 0.0.0.0

This is saying look for a route which looks like this x.x.0.0 (0.0.0.0

255.255.0.0)

AND has an exact mask of 255.255.224.0 (255.255.224.0 0.0.0.0)

Using extended ACLs for purposes such as this has been around for a while, before prefix lists, I beleive. An extended ACL is not always looking for source and destination addresses, you see......

-ja

Reply to
John Agosta

I see no reason to use an extended ACL for redistribution. Just a standard ACL or a distribute list will do. I agree with Rob (also BOD43), that this is probably a bug, Rob is right in asking who would ever use it for this purpose, and therefore test it for this, or even care?

Crzzy1

Reply to
crzzy1

Again, I don't know why all the matches, either. I was simply pointing out that using an extended ACL for the purpose of route filtering is an available tool, and when doing so the commonly understood idea of "Source_Add +wcm" / "Dest_Add + wcm" doesn't apply...

-ja

Reply to
John Agosta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.