Audit of large Cisco Network

Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Please let me know which newsgroup would be more appropriate if this isnt the one.

We have a number of large Cisco networks. Not all are interconnected. Mostly they are a dozen or so big networks.

Approximately 40,000-90,000 devices depending on who you ask. (By device I mean cards or chassis).

We wish to run an audit, to identify more accurately what is out there.

From the audit we wish to gather info such as:

- Number of devices

- Type of devices

- Serial Number of devices

- Age (?) of devices (eg manufacturing date or similar)

- Software version on devices

By devices I mean chassis and (if applicable) cards as well.

and so on.

The networks are in general behind a good firewall, so sweeping the full IP range should be OK in general.

The aim is to as accurately as possible sweep each of our networks to determine what we have in them. From this we will more accurately know what we have that needs supporting.

Anyone know of any software that can do this? And any large international companies that may have consultants that are able to be hired to do this?

I am not in the US, so if you recommend a specific company please make it a large international company, other than Cisco!

Also any info you have on this being done in other companies would be appreciated. Such as how long it would take etc. Assume 90,000 cards/chassis and a 20 separate networks.

Thanks for your help....its quite a task thats needed!

Reply to
me
Loading thread data ...

It's not particularly difficult to do, just have a programmer write some Tcl scripts. I've done this as a subcontractor at IBM, the tools I developed can easily extract data from around 5,000 devices per hour. The difficult task, which takes most time, is getting working passwords to the devices.

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Bredell

sounds like a good use for snmp....

SysAdm

Reply to
SysAdm

Hello Mats

it is interesing, but could you be so pleased tell me some useful command... for example which command can i get - serial number of

2MFT-E1 card or Age (?) of devices? I know only sh ver :-( please tell me more useful command for auditing hardware.

Thank you, dmitry

Reply to
Dmitro

oops. sh diag + to my luggage. dmitry

Reply to
Dmitro

It's not as easy as it sounds. Before you can get *to* the information, you need a seed file with all the IPs. That in an of itself can be a chore. Then you have a problem of different devices reporting things differently. Then you have problem of different devices not being able to provide the info one is after (serial number comes to mind).

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Thanks!

Reply to
Richard

Actually, it's not that difficult. The tool I made was able to handle the following devices:

• Cisco IOS, CatOS, IOS/700, Kalpana, PIX, WebNS and Vxworks
  • 3Com Superstack, Linkbuilder and Linkswitch
  • Checkpoint Firewall-1 and SecurePlatform Linux
  • IBM AIX and MRS
  • Linux Redhat
  • Network Systems CDA
  • Nokia AlchemyOS, AP and IPSO
  • Nortel Baystack, BCC, Centillion, MCP and Passport
  • Olicom switches
  • Sun Solaris
  • Symantec Enterprise Firewall
  • Symbol AP

The tool extracts metadata and configuration, and performs an audit of the configuration by comparing it to the security policy. The data is collected by using telnet, ssh, http, SNMP or serial console. It handles both cli based and VT100 based devices.

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Bredell

Yes, SNMP is the best and easiest to handle. Unfortunately it was rarely enabled on the devices I was working on (either that or they didn't know the community strings).

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Bredell

Also the Cisco MIB DOES vary between different chassis making it unreliable for some types of data.

I have to totally agree - a set of TCL or Perl scripts is a great way to go. Of course it's much simpler if you start with a list of all the devices.

Reply to
Ben

Which is why TCL is a better choice than perl - much easier to reverse engineer - which you will need to do at times even if you are the one who wrote it :)

Reply to
Ben

This was the first time I used TCL, it was an interesting experience. TCL was a natural choice since everything started out using Expect. But I really like the way TCL is able to handle lists of data, that's nice when you're trying to parse a configuration file.

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Bredell

The first version of the tool did a simple telnet to the device and was able to figure out what kind of device it was, but I removed that function when making a new version of the tool.

There were also problems with bugs in a lot of network devices. Certain Nortel Baystacks had an IP stack that was so unstable that it crashed after about 5 connects. That's a huge problem when you're debugging the scripts and making lots of connections.

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Bredell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.