async 16a /cbling for patchbay (your answer to the newsgroup)

Hi Aaron!

Many thanks for your answer. We found out that our Octal cable wuth the DB25s should be the DTE. But still we cannot figure out how to put them on the patchbay. It is important for us to use standard cat5 cable from the patchbay to the console ports of the routers (due to the length). If you can give us one more tip it would be more than appreciated. What we tried so far: Patch cable color form octab cable bay connector

1 green 2 white 3 blue 4 yellow 5 orange 6 brown 7 red 8 black

This scrambles the console port on the terminal server...

Thanks, Christian

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the pinouts for the CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC (RJ45 plugs):

formatting link
And the mapping from the RJ45 pins to the DB25 are one of the mappings shown here:

formatting link
(depending on whether your DB25s present as DCE or DTE which I don't know offhand.)

Aaron

Reply to
Christian Lox
Loading thread data ...

Christian,

Sorry, you've lost me. Even though I've been working with RS232 for

15-20 years, I still get lost pretty quick until I sit down and very painstakingly write down a very detailed picture of where each lead goes every step of the way. And even then, I often need to use a breakout box to figure things out.

If you just plug things together without being SURE exactly what each lead is supposed to be doing everywhere, the chances of getting lucky and having your cable work are very low, I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.