Are Cisco 2500 Routers sufficient for a CCNA study lab?

I am preparing to retake to CCNA exam to renew my certification. I have the following equipment that I used to prepare for the CCNA a few years back.

2 x 2514 Router 3 x 2501 Router 2 x 1900 Switch 1 x 2900 Switch

Will these be sufficient to prepare for the current CCNA exam, or should I buy some more current routers/switches off of eBay? If I should upgrade, what would you suggest?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Heitmuller
Loading thread data ...

For CCNA, those should be mostly fine. CCNA is primarily very basic routing/switching, and as long as your IOS images support the basics, I don't see you needing to fork out a bunch of money. Although I will say the 1900 is really old, and you will most likely want an IOS based switch presuming your 2900 is cat. That would be the only thing that I would consider doing.

Reply to
Trendkill

There are significant differences between the 1900 and 2950 IOS commands. CCNA exam guides from a couple years ago covered both, but emphasized the 2950 as the new standard to which you should prepare.

Best regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

I really appreciate the feedback. I just bought two 2950s off of eBay.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Heitmuller

it depends which "version" of the 2900 you have. Apparently, cisco made a low level one that would not evne do Vlans or trunking. However, the newer version(which has 4m flash and 8m ram i think), wil support vlans, trunking, ISL, and 802.1q. I guess the main thing you get wiht the 2950's is that you dont have any guesswork as to which version you are getting.

Also regarding the 2500's they should be fine. When I first started studying for my CCNA, I got 3 2501's off ebay. They helped a lot. I also picked up a 1721 to use as my home internet router.

Reply to
gmforbk2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.