ADSL FW for 857 (4.0.18)

OK, so I'm new to Cisco and picked up an 857 off fleabay. After playing around with it, I seems I need to update the ADSL firmware to get a stable connection (UK C&W LLU ADSL2+).

However, it looks like I need to buy a support account before I can access firmware updates. Is this right?

Cheers,

Rich.

Reply to
Richard Bland
Loading thread data ...

Some slightly older firmware is available at:- ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/ Most users will need to specify passive ftp for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.

I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.

Read the release notes.

Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+. In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.

The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a maintenance agreement.

In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.

Reply to
bod43

Thanks for the operating-mode tip - I've already tried 3.0.10 and 3.0.33 from the public FTP site without much change in stability and was hoping for easy access to 4.0.18...

However, the operating-mode change intrigues me as I've seen it posted a couple of other places. Will try that this evening.

Cheers,

Rich.

Reply to
Richard Bland

Support for the 857 will not cost much.

I forget exactly - 15% of list price per year.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the operating mode. Worth a try tho'.

Check your mail.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.