ACL: Reflective versus established

I've managed to get reflective ACL working. However, it adds ACL rules at the end of the ACL. Lots of rules when the LAN side machine makes a lot of connections to the outside world.

It creates a lot of redundant entries at the bottom such as :

permit tcp host 190.10.0.111 eq 52140 host 64.235.219.134 eq 6881

even though the acl already contains a : permit tcp any any eq 6881

From a performance point of you, is it better to use the "established" mechanism for tcp and use reflective only for udp ? This would greatly reduce the number of dynamic entries in the ACL.

for instance:

ip access-list extended ACLinbound evaluate Reflect_outbound permit tcp any any established permit tcp any 10.0.0.0 0.0.255.255 eq www deny tcp any any eq 445

ip access-list extended ACLoutbound permit tcp any any permit udp any any reflect Reflect_outbound

For tcp, does the reflective mechanism provide any additional functionality that the "established" mechanism doesn't ?

Reply to
JF Mezei
Loading thread data ...

That is what I did. If it is much better, I don't know. At least it looks much more tidy.

Some purists will argue that "established" is a leak because it permits traffic like RST or SYN ACK packets to a nonexisting connection, but I don't see it as a real problem.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.