about cisco ehternet switch port type

Hi, For cisco switch, it has access and trunk port and other venders have access,trunk and hybrid port. How does cisco support hybrid port function?

TIA, st

Reply to
aaabbb16
Loading thread data ...

Cisco is half-hybrid by default. The "default" VLAN is a hybrid, but cisco doesn't support the mix-and-match hybrid that other switch vendors support. (ie. you only get the one VLAN that is hybrid, you can't choose every VLAN if its tagged or un-tagged per port).

Personally, I've never needed to have that level of flexibility. I'd either want a trunk or an access port. I don't need to mix and match in a full hybrid setup like that ever.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi, For cisco switch, it has access and trunk port and other venders have access,trunk and hybrid port. How does cisco support hybrid port function?

TIA, st

Reply to
aaabbb16

TIA, st

Reply to
aaabbb16

I read that a different way. IIUC IEEE 802.1Q terminology (which Cisco don't publicise - it should be obvious why by the time you've read this) classes ports as access, trunk or hybrid. Ports have a port VLAN ID (PVID) which is the default or native VLAN. Access ports have one VLAN, untagged. 802.1Q trunk ports have NO VLANs untagged, though may/should accept untagged (or 0-tagged) frames into the port VLAN. 802.1Q hybrid ports transmit frames for the PVID untagged.

Ports configured as trunk ports on Cisco kit are actually 802.1Q hybrid ports, not 802.1Q trunk ports. You can make a Cisco tag the native VLAN, making a port an 802.1Q port, but it's a little messy and it looks as though that stops untagged frames being accepted into the default VLAN.

HTH, though whether it's anything to do with the OP's question I'm not sure. For info see [1] below (possibly somewhat out of date), starting at about slide 33.

Sam

[1]
Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.