ip address <interface> dhcp setroute

Hi all,

On a PIX 501 I have the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute" on the outside interface. However, when the PIX reboots, I won't get the IP address back. I have to log on from the inside LAN and manually issue the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute".

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Ikke

Reply to
ikkemij
Loading thread data ...

Probably not. The PIX tries for 30 seconds and then gives up. If it can't get a lease in 30 seconds, something outside it is going wrong.

Hmmm, a thought: perhaps the link that it is connected to has Spanning Tree set up on it. If so then for the first 30 seconds, the port would just be listening for BPDU's to check to see if there was a topology problem. The PIX might be timing out on the dhcp about the same time that the port is finally ready to listen to it.

If that happens to be the problem, then the admin of the next device over might be able to set spanning tree "portfast", or possibly turn off spanning tree altogether for that link.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I thought of that, but there is no Spanning Tree on the other side.

Thanks for the answer. At least now I know I can't help it. We'll just have to request a static IP address.

Reply to
ikkemij

-------------------------------------

Note: The PIX CLI configuration used in version 7.x is also applicable to PIX 6.x. The only difference is that in versions earlier than PIX 6.3, the DHCP server can only be enabled on the inside interface. In PIX 6.3 and later the DHCP server can be enabled on any of the

Reply to
mos_cit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.