Connect 857 ADSL router to Metro Ethernet network

Is it possible to connect a 857 ADSL router to a 3750 L3 switch with QinQ tagging. Thank you.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Vivian
Loading thread data ...

Yes, they both have ethernet ports that you can run a cable inbetween.

Maybe there's some better question in there? More info would be better.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hmmmm. 857 only supports one VLAN and cannot run Advanced IP Services Feature Set.

Might work but I guess it wont.

877 supports 1 to 4 VLANS. No idea at all if it might do QinQ tunneling. I kind of thought that the "switch" hardware was quite basic.

formatting link
-- Feature Navigator might assist. May not be available for public access. Not sure.

Reply to
bod43

------------------------------------- QinQ isn't supported in 857, that's why i use a 3750 to connect to Metro Ethernet. If i configure default VLAN 1 in an access port in 3750 and VLAN

100 (for example) for a trunk port and the S-VLAN, would it work, having only this client on the 3750? Thank you very much.
Reply to
Vivian

Vivian had written this in response to

formatting link
:

-------------------------------------

Rephrasing my question, the problem is if i can configure QinQ with VLAN 1 (as the C-VLAN) and VLAN 100 (as the S-VLAN) in a 3750 that connects to a

857 router that doesn't support VLANs. If anyone knows, could you please help in this. Thank you!
Reply to
Vivian

You need to give more explanation for me to be sure however:-

If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured as an access port then you are all OK. This access port can be a member of any VLAN you choose on the 3750. In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is untagged.

If the 851 is connected to a port on the 3750 configured as a trunk then you can't. (I suppose you might argue that you could use the dot1q native VLAN but that would just be stupidly obtuse in any practical sense). In this case the traffic between the 851 and the 3750 is tagged and the 851 won't be able to deal with it.

I have now checked with the feature navigator

formatting link
and it appears confirmed that no IEEE 802.1Q VLAN features are supported on the 851. This means that my statements above are correct.

Sadly I can't give you a nice link since the web site seems to be all scripted or something. How annoying!

formatting link
choose Search by platform Select 851 from the Platform drop down Press continue Scroll down and observe that there are no IEEE 802.1Q ........ entries

Press Back Button on browser Select 871 from the Platform drop down Select Feature Set/Licenses - Advanced IP Services Scroll down and observe that there ARE IEEE 802.1Q ........ entries

These seem particularly handy. IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Trunking

Reply to
bod43

I find Web Developer Toolbar useful for this; Forms > Convert POSTs to GETs will give you a URL you can link to, email to someone etc. Useful for other sites too.

Reply to
alexd

Thanks a lot.

Very handy. Took a bit of mindless hacking to figure out how to drive it since I have no idea what any of it means but all working now:-)

851 - any software so none selected
formatting link
871 Advanced IP Services
formatting link
For the un-initiated - like me.

Install "Web Developer :: Add-ons for Firefox" You already have firefox and Adblock Plus obviously so you know how to install add-ons:-)

Navigate towards the web page that is unhelpfully not giving you a valid link. e.g.

formatting link
Once you actually choose platform all you get is:-
formatting link
BEFORE you choose the platform

On the toolbar select Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs

Then "execute" the form by choosing the platform, maybe you have to press "Continue" I forget.

The address bar displays a valid URL that can be used to return to the page.

You have to repeat the Forms/Convert Form Methods/POSTs to GETs each time you execute the form since on each realod I guess (wildly) it reloads the offending post method.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.