501 PIX default configuration and browsing (or lack thereof)?

I am getting a "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" message.

Is there anything in the default configuration that would prevent NETWORK PLACES from displaying a list of workgroup computers by their machine name or anything that I need to do to enable such? Any mismatch in settings that I might have made between the computers and the 501?

My SOHO network does not have a DNS or a WINS server if that makes any difference - I am using the 501 to assign DHCP addresses to the workgroup computers.

NETWORK PLACES properly displayed the workgroup computers by their machine name with the WinGate system I was using prior to switch to the

501 , but no longer.

Any help would be most appreciated but please keep in mind you are talking to someone who is essentially network illiterate at this point.

Reply to
jim.wray
Loading thread data ...

Jim, Maybe PIX is not passing NetBEUI or whatever your PC's are using to advertise their names. If you are routing everything via the switch ports on back of 501, get a cheap hub/switch instead. Plug your pc's into hub where they can broadcast without being filtered and see if it works. If it works, then plug the hub into the PIX and you should be OK. If it (the hub by itself) doesn't work, then you have other issues than the PIX.

Reply to
glowell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.