2924XL SNMP MAC Table Read Oddity

Can anyone help with this, it's got me puzzled as to why I can't obtain the MAC table via SNMP from my 2924XL switches...

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC17, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

From the Telnet session:

loft-sw01#show mac > Dynamic Address Count: 12 > Secure Address Count: 0 > Static Address (User-defined) Count: 0 > System Self Address Count: 49 > Total MAC addresses: 61 > Maximum MAC addresses: 2048 > Non-static Address Table: > Destination Address Address Type VLAN Destination Port >
Reply to
Steven Carr
Loading thread data ...

looks like you got the static MAC's and the dynamic MACS for VLAN 1

see Cisco doc "How To Get Dynamic CAM Entries (CAM Table) for Catalyst Switches"

formatting link
to get each dynamic CAN entry - you need to retriev one VLAN at a time using

a modifued community string in that you append "@" at the end of the community string

Reply to
Merv

You're a star :) works a treat, thanks alot

Reply to
Steven Carr

One more question...

This is all for part of my uni project, network monitoring/MAC tracking system - would you recommend using SNMP to obtain the MAC table & interface and then match them up, or zip in over telnet and get it using the "show mac-address-table" command and then parse the output. I know it both gets me the same information but which is going to be the faster.

Reply to
Steven Carr

not sure as I have never tried doing this type of comparison.

if you have time do both for the learning experience

Reply to
Merv

I have not a clue - however:-

The SNMP will involve a 'transaction' for each VLAN the telnet method is a single command for all VLAN

Against that it is possible that setting up the telnet session may have more overhead - particularly if fancy authentication is used.

Have you considered rcommand.http? Just to add confusion:-)

Reply to
Bod43

haven't got a clue what that is...

Reply to
Steven Carr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.