2924 Switch: VLAN config not in config.text

I just realised that on my 2924 switch, the vlan definition commands such as

switch# vlan database switch(vlan)# vlan 2 name Accounting switch(vlan)# vlan 3 name Engineering switch(vlan)# vlan 4 name Executives switch(vlan)# apply

Those commands are not included in a show running-config or in the config.text that is created in flash (or on remote system via tftp).

What is the recommended way to manage this ?

Is the only way to do a binary backup of the vlan.dat file to a remote system, or is there a way to setup the commands in a text file on a remote system and have them executed on the switch ?

Are there other configuration data which are not reflected in the config.text file that I should be aware of and manually backup ?

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC9, RELEASE SOFTWA)

Reply to
JF Mezei
Loading thread data ...

Yes, cisco figured out that was a pain, and changed that a few years ago in the current hardware crop. Of course, this long EOL'd switch didn't get the updates...

Check things with 'show vlan'? I think cisco expected you to really managed vlan ID's with VTP out from some other switch that might have had better vlan definition style (ie. CatOS). Otherwise, copying the vlan.dat file is fine.

No, you won't find any plain-text configs for vlan setup. The interactive 'show vlan' is the best one you can do. RANCID keeps track of this as part of its change-tracking.

The only other one has to do with SNMP index persistance. If you aren't using that, you've got the two big ones to do a restore.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.