Wrong solution on exam

I found what i believe is a wrong answer at the examconnect.com Demo CCNA test.

Question: You work as network administrator at ExamConnect. Your trainee is configuring a router with both physical and logical interfaces. He asks you what factor determines the OSPF router ID. What should you tell him?

AnswersA. The lowest network number of any interface. B. The lowest IP address of any logical interface. C. The lowest IP address of any physical interface. D. The highest network number of any interface. E. The highest IP address of any logical interface. F. The highest IP address of any physical interface.

I answered E, but the test say its F. WTF.

Here is what cisco say (Semester 3, 2.3.2): When a loopback interface is configured, OSPF uses this address as the router ID, regardless of the value.

As we all know loopback is a logical interface.

Any agree that the test is wrong?

Reply to
Tams Larsen
Loading thread data ...

indeed, you are right;

the correct presedence is:

- any highest physical interface first (if nothing else is configured)

- if a loopback is configured, it takes higher precedence EVEN if the ip address is lower than any physical intf.

- if a priority is configured, it takes absolute highest precedence, and will set the routerID.

since priority is not mentioned in that question, the seccond answer is the right one.

REF:

formatting link
in my idea, they simply copied that question from the CCNA networking accademy tests, since that question is exactly the same and having the wrong answer too. ======================================================= NEW on the Internet: cisco irc chat groep irc://irc.intersecting.net/cisco.certification =======================================================

Reply to
polleke7

you're right

cisco says " The router ID is the highest IP address or the highest ip address among loopback addresses (if one is configured) on the Cisco router "

so if there is a loopback address, even it has lower IP address, it will be the router ID

Reply to
Tayfun Tuna

Priority has nothing to do with Router ID

Its has something to do with DR elections.

You may be confusing "priority" with the "router-id" command which has "absolute highest precedence."

-ja

REF:

formatting link
23tip2r/ip2_i1gt.htm#wp1109414

Reply to
John Agosta

John is right and you are totally confused! Perhaps you should take your own advice and read it again:

"When two routers attached to a network both attempt to become the designated router, the one with the higher router priority takes precedence. If there is a tie, the router with the higher router ID takes precedence. A router with a router priority set to zero is ineligible to become the designated router or backup designated router."

Doan

Reply to
Doan

-- yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnnn --

lol, read the stuff once again mate, i even provided the link to the subject 'ip ospf priority' looks like you didnt read it heh :p

actualy you are right in some way, there is an aditional global config command router-id that overides any loopbacks it is set globaly and thus doenst control each segment perfectly thats where the 'ip ospf priority' comes in which is set per interface base

to correct myself:

the (new) correct presedence is:

- any highest physical interface first (if nothing else is configured)

- if a loopback is configured, it takes higher precedence globaly EVEN if the ip address is lower than any physical intf.

- if 'router-id' is set, it overrides any loopback globaly

- if a priority is configured, it takes absolute highest precedence, and will set the routerID [PER SEGMENT!!].

please correct me if i'm still wrong :-)

======================================================= NEW on the Internet: cisco irc chat groep irc://irc.intersecting.net/cisco.certification =======================================================

REF:

formatting link
> 23tip2r/ip2_i1gt.htm#wp1109414

Reply to
polleke7

ip ospf priority has 'nothing' to do with router ID.

It has something to do with DR/BDR elections.

Check it out, mate.

Yes, you are. See above.

REF:

formatting link
> > 23tip2r/ip2_i1gt.htm#wp1109414

Reply to
John Agosta

Well.. Some says one thing, other say another thing.. So what is the correct answer?

Reply to
Tams Larsen

in my oppinion, the routerID is used to "sellect" the DR/BDR on a Multiaccess segment I'll make a real lab about this during next week (connect a couple routers etc...) and i'll report my findings later on then.

Reply to
polleke7

But the first router to boot up will become DR, as long as the priority is not '0'.

Regardless, the point that is being questioned is "ospf priority," and that "ip ospf priority" has nothing_to_do_with "setting router ID assignment." The priority is used to influence DR/BDR elections and has 'zero' to do with influencing router IDs......

Reply to
John Agosta

RID is a paramether used (in DR/BDR election) if and only if we have the same router priority on two or more routers.

Well, that is a good way to check it out. Another good way to find out what's happening is to read RFC2328.

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

I completly agree with you and things you said are no different than ones I've said (the meaning of them, of course).

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.