Work experience

Let's say you passed network + and then CCNA exams. you have 9 cisco routers, 2 cisco 2950 switches , isdn simulator, pix 501 firewall at your home lab and you have above basic knowledge about cisco networking, but you have zero real time experience. how hard to get a job? why everybody is looking for 2-3 year experience min? what are the possibilities to gain some experience? I even think about working for free for couple of month just to get some experience. does any one give me some advice about this? I live in London by the way and I'm a bloody foreigner :))))))) I have a 5 years work permit which I have to transfer if I change my job. So do you think there is an opportunity out there who will accept to transfer my work permit and give me job just becuase I LOVE NETWORKING and this is the job I want to do. Not because of money, because I really love this and want to have a serious career about networking.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill YILDIRIM
Loading thread data ...

this is because an experienced worker can solve problem much faster than a green one.

even an unexperienced have problem to *understand* an issue.

"Bill YILDIRIM" ¦b¶l¥ó news:dkilev$hfj$ snipped-for-privacy@domitilla.aioe.org ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
hdu

door. It is a catch 22, they want experienced people but won't offer experience. You would think eventually they would run out of experienced people or something?

Reply to
Encryptid

Bill, I think most of us worked our way up the system. But you don't have to work for free.

For example, I see a company stateside asking for contractors to roll out DSL into new neighborhoods. Get your experience there as a grunt then move on to working in the office supporting those contractors or working at a help desk. By then you will have your experience in installation and maintenance and should be able to use your experience to get the jobs requiring certification. Also use your "grunt" time and get your CCNP...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harris

Reply to
Bill YILDIRIM

Bill, if you don't already have support experience in helpdesk or pc support you would better suited earning some stripes in that capacity first. I am senior network engineer and I earned my stripes in support, server admin, and then network admin. Each level you pick up the skills you need to use on daily basis as a network admin. Then after some time in network admin you can shovel off the LAN admin to junior personnel and deal with the good stuff in WANs and enterprise networking.

Thats my two cents anyway.

Reply to
jdsal

Reply to
Bill YILDIRIM

Not meaning to sound rude, but if you employ some of the troubleshooting skills you should have gained during your CCNA studies on to finding a job, that shouldn't be too difficult. Sit down, work out your baseline and analyse it.

Good. You've worked out an approach. Why are you posting to Usenet?

The financial hub of Europe. Chances are there are one or two companies there who wouldn't mind a bit of free network support. Problem being, of course, that if they don't pay you, you aren't an employee, and therefore aren't protected by their liability insurance. You screw up, they pay.

Hint: People looking for networking people aren't scouring newsgroups.

Work out what you want to do. If its support, go talk to people with networks. If its design, look up the Cisco resellers on their website, but get a CCDA first.

CCNA, while a valid achievement, is now a pretty common cert. It may open doors, but only enough to stick your nose in a bit.

You are better off leveraging your MSCE experience and moving across gradually.

Reply to
yamahasw40

One more tip. Get to know the people in the network group. If an opportunity presents itself and you have gotten to know those people will likely recommend you. This scenario I have seen play out time and time again. In fact this approach works for any kind of goal you have in mind that you need the help of others to accomplish.

Reply to
jdsal

Hi,

to make things a little bit more clear, I haven't posted this here to find a job. I just wanted to listen and learn from others experience. I'm sure at least 10 people had the some problem and found a way to sort it out. Maybe I'm just looking for a role modal. Everything you and others said will help me to picture what is waiting for me and will help me to find out how to start.

Reply to
Bill YILDIRIM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.