Wireless networking into a Cisco switch

I have both a 1900 and a 2900 series switch. The physical network is running fine and I am progressing well with my home lab (studying for CCNA). Would it be possible to connect a Wireless Access Point into the switch and thus create a powerful wireless network at home? If thats possible, will an off the shelf brand such as dlink, netgear suffice?

Cheers guys

Reply to
Hashem Ouaida
Loading thread data ...

Hi, i'm doing exactly that, a little Netgear box connected to my 2950 and it works fine.

Den

Reply to
Den

Those wireless devices in consumer stores are wireless routers, not wireless access-points. If a Cisco wireless access point was connected to one of your switchports, the wireless connections would be on the same VLAN and subnet as the switchport. It would be similar to having another hub/switch, albeit one that uses wireless connections to hosts, connected to that port which would have many MAC addresses on one port. By using a wireless router there will be a seperate subnet on the "inside" of the the wireless router and the outside NAT address of the wireless router connected into your LAN. There are some exceptions to these products, but the functionality is different.

Because you mentioned that this is for CCNA, I might suggest a Cisco AP 300 or 1200. These are only access-points, not access-points and routers with NAT bound into the same device. I found the 300 difficult to work with compared to the 1200, but both can be bought used as long as you ensure you receive a power supply. I should not have to suggest eBay to you, but they average $20-$60.

On the subject of Cisco wireless, please look into the Cisco wireless management:

formatting link
-> Products & Services -> Wireless -> Network Management Look at the Wireless Control System. It is geared for a larger environment which would have many access points requiring central management.

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.