Why is CCNA recertified every 3 yrs?

Does the Cisco material, at least for a CCNA, change as much as Microsoft products? I found MCSE unappealing as it loses value when M$ comes out with newer versions. Is it a similar situation with Cisco stuff?

Reply to
Dandelion
Loading thread data ...

The "value" of any Cisco Certification is that the "holder" has kept up with current techology.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Sorry, but the certification is that the "holder" can apply for an entry level position, not to keep up with current technology. Once you are in business, the certification is good to those that collect the money.

new guy :)

Reply to
new guy

Interesting, was not aware that suspended and inactive certifications had such positive merit.

Brad Reese Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

CCNA is there for 2 things - to show the holder knows the basics about Cisco kit, and as an entry level exam.

so - it only has value if reasonably up to date.

once you pass a higher level exam such as CCNP - you only have to recert CCNP and CCNA is assumed to be covered as well.

so - the recert is only needed if you havent bothered to go further up the food chain - which sort of makes sense if you buy in to the "ever newer technology" marketing spin.

>
Reply to
stephen

Don't forget about the part where you are damned lucky if you find an IT manager or director who will let you even touch one of their routers with only a CCNA to your credit. It just doesn't happen often...

Reply to
Melvin

I am contracted to a large microprocessor manufacturing company and I touch routers and switches numerous times daily with only a CCNA certification.

A number of the folks in the network group I am helping support now don't even have their CCNA. And they're getting paid more than me. :-(

Dave

Reply to
David Casey

Experience is the key factor. I've worked contracts all over the southeast for some very large companies, and the best in the business don't have any certifications on all, and I'm talking about Cisco routers and Microsoft servers. Certifications are wildly overrated. The CCIE still carries a good punch, but the CCNA is just an entry level cert upon which to build to get to better things.

Reply to
Melvin

Thank you!

new guy :)

Reply to
new guy

There was no technological reason to require CCNA's to recertify. The policy is simply a money grab.

Reply to
Melvin

Totally agree. CCNA (and MCSE) never got me a job. I get agencies ringing me up asking if I would be interested in a £15K helpdesk job...which is hardly worthy of these "coveted credentials". The only people who make money from these certifications are the vendors and trainers.

I say this from the standpoint of being an unemployed IT support manager for the last 5 months and every job that has looked suitable for my experience (and qualifications) results in "overqualified-underqualified-too much experience-not enough- think I'll get bored easily etc..." At 40 years old I think its time I took stock of the IT industry and decide if I want to stay in it (prolly not)

Reply to
Smudge Smith

Being a techie at age 40 is not an easy thing. They want 'em younger.

Reply to
Melvin

Puts me in mind of "The Recession" during Margaret Thatchers reign as Prime Minister here in Britain during the late 70's early 80's. My Dad was made redundant when he was 40. Took him two years to be offered another job and then it was something well below what his experience and qualifications called for. (No such thing as being "overqualified" back then).

Is this what I have to look forwards to?

Reply to
Smudge Smith

Things aren't as good for the techies as they were during the 90's. No more signing bonuses from tech recruiters, no Cross pen and pencil sets, etc. I went back to college and got an MIS degree and had a devil of a time finding a job until I finally got hired as an IT manager. That was my only shot to stay in the game. Without the degree, I'd probably be a salesman or something. I don't know...

Reply to
Melvin

I don't have CCNA yet (hope to pass the exam next week) but I worked at a big ISP and had access to their worldwide routers without any certificate. I must admit this company had their own internal training which was very impressive.

Hans

Reply to
Hans

ISP and had access to their worldwide

How did you get in the company? Internal link?

Reply to
Dandelion

ISP and had access to their worldwide

I worked at a hardware-company (who made Unix stations and add-ons) and they hosted the POP in that town for that ISP. So once I met the technicians of that ISP and he went to HR for me and they invited me. (1998)

Hans

Reply to
Hans

Because it is an additional revenue source for Cisco, ah duh.... (And you need to keep up-to-date on changes and inovations)

Reply to
Waveform

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.