wan hardware question.

Well, that connects the two, but doesn't really give a WAN setup (as the OP was asking for). I'd get another router with a T1 card as well. Use a T1 cross over cable (Google it - lots of references) and you can create a P2P link between them. Then, you can have two separate lans and route between them.

Jim

Reply to
Scooby
Loading thread data ...

just bought a cisco2524 from ebay. its got console port, aux, aui, ethernet and T1 DSU/CSU module. what else do i need to do a wan similation. i know i need another router. but how do I connect it with my current 2524? the aui and ethernet on the 2524 can't be used at the same time, i think. i guess the question is do i need to add a serial module in the 2524?

Reply to
radioactiveman

Connect the ethernet port to a hub/switch then connect the next router in the same way Assign the IP addresses as required and bobs your uncle , in theory

Reply to
CK

Yes you need to add a WIC card in it with 2 serial ports to do WAN simulation These WIC modules are not that expensive. And are the same as used in 2600,

1700, and 3600 series routers.

Offcourse you will need routers on the other "end" (to connect to those serial ports) Special DCE/DTE cables can be found anywhere around on the internet (ebay and new) to connect both ends up to eachother

And NO, the ethernetport is in "shared mode" you can use only one of both connector either the AUI or the RJ45 (there is only one controller inside the box)

Reply to
polleke7

awesome. thanks.

Reply to
radioactiveman

as a follow up: To make an RJ48 back to back cable, you need to crimp a normal RJ45 end (pins 1-8). On the other end, switch wires 1 & 2 with wires 4 & 5. Once you plug it in, its just a matter of setting the clock source (internal if you want) on the routers.

Reply to
Nick Majsa

Only one of the routers should provide the clocking in a P2P setup. One should be internal and the other should get the clock from the network.

Reply to
Scooby

You may wish to investigate the Black Box Custom Cable Wizard:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Certified Network Engineer Jobs Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.