VTP Transparent mode confusion

Hi all,

I am currently studying BCMSN and I have trouble understanding VTP version 2 transparent mode. I am having trouble replicating what is mentioned in the link below regarding relaying VTP advertisement by a transparent switch with my Cisco lab.

formatting link
Transparent Mode-In VTP version 1, a VTP transparent switch inspects VTP messages for the domain name and version and forwards a message only if the version and domain name match. Because VTP version 2 supports only one domain, it forwards VTP messages in transparent mode without inspecting the version and domain name

I have 2 Cat2950(switch A and B, both IOS 12.1.(22)EA5) and 1 Cat2912(switch C, IOS 12.0(5)WC12), all running on EI. I configured the topology below. Inter switches links are configured static as trunk with 802.1Q. A B C

C can receive VTP advertisement from A if below (as expected). A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v1 domain=test C : server, v1, domain=test

C cannot receive VTP advertisement from A if below (as expected). A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v1 domain=abc C : server, v1, domain=test

This is where it starts to be confusing A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=abc C : server, v1, domain=test C cannot receive VTP updates from A. When B is in v2 mode, shouldn't it ignore the domain and VTP version and start relay the VTP advertisement?

A : server, v2, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=abc C : server, v2, domain=test C still cannot receive VTP ad from A

A : server, v2, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=test C : server, v2, domain=test Now C can receive VTP ad from A

Basically, I just create new vlan or delete existing vlan on A and see if it propages to C. So is the link to cisco.com is in error, or IOS error or I understand the concept wrongly? Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Guan Foo Wah
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. Have you tried any vtp debugs on B?

Reply to
kymwak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.