VPN

Well I really don't know anything about Cisco routers right now, but am wondering what you cisco experts would recommend.

I have a main office that needs VPN connections to 7 branch offices. Main offices hosts all servers, and branch offices have then clinets that connect via termainal services to main office.

There is no more then 50 users per branch office, for a total of 150 branch users.

What cisco routers would you recommend? Is it a easy setup?

Would I be better using something like ISA server to setup VPN's instead of Cisco routers?

Thanks

Reply to
Jamco
Loading thread data ...

You need to worry about whats right before you worry about cost. What are the requirements? Internet access? If so, do you want it to go thru the main hub (for monitoring)? How much traffic? Whats are the bandwidth requirements? Are you running anything other than IP (IPX, SNA, etc)? Do the remote sites need to talk to each other? Do you have a DR site?

Personally, when it comes to VPN's, Im a GRE bigot. I love how you can run anything across them including routing.

An 8 site network is relatively small and you can get away with smaller/cheaper routers. Anyone that responds will suggest the equipment they are familiar with and I will do the same: For the hub, a 3600 or 7206. The 7206 is big but they have gotten relatively cheap. You can do quite a bit with it and you dont have to worry about overloading it for 7 remote links. In addition, you can run Dynamic GRE Tunnels using either as the head end router. For the remote routers, a 1760 K9 VPN bundle will work. You can pick them up for under $2,000 each plus the WIC (Ethernet for DSL or WIC-T1 for a T1 link) A cisco example:

formatting link
to justify:
formatting link
Or, you can go with a lower cost method of dropping concentrators (3002 maybe) at each site and a larger 30xx for the head site. They are really easy to configure (web based) and there is plenty of documentation for it.

Like I said, Im a GRE bigot and while a bit more complex to set up > Well I really don't know anything about Cisco routers right now, but am

Reply to
Nick

I'd go with a PIX 515 at the main office and either PIX 501's or 506E's at the branches. I'm not very familiar with the 3000 series VPN concentrators but I would imagine they should be looked into as well.

Reply to
Wayne

If you are money concious, then you can do the following:

At the mainsite, purchase Cisco router (800 cheapo will do if you are on DSL) For client branches, you can either use Cisco routers or Any IPSEC VPN capable cheap routers like netgear FVS, Billion and more..

It's a matter of setting up site-to-site vpns for 7 offices.

Works for me great using 8 big branches all connecting to head office with DES

site-to-site ipsec vpn is something that would be most simple solution for you

Reply to
Igor Z (cci holdings)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.