VLAN stuff

ok

if i have two VLANs

STUDENT STAFF

and i have one router which has an APPLICATION SERVER attached to it

If i have one trunk link coming from the switch containing the VLANs to the router

will both VLANs have access to the APPLICATION server via this trunk link?

I assume they will

however what if I do not want to allow any inter VLAN connectivity, will they both be able to communicate over one trunk link with the APPLICATION server connected to the router?

Reply to
Christo
Loading thread data ...

It depends....You can control what vlan have access to what by assigning a dot1q or ISL layer 3 subinterace to the vlan. For example, if you only wanted and student and staff to have access to each other and the application vlan to be isolated your would configured your router as suchs. Please note im assuming the vlan 1 is staff, 2 is student, and 3 is app for this example.

interface FastEthernet0/0 no ip address duplex full ! interface FastEthernet0/0.1 description Staff VLAN encapsulation isl 1 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 no ip redirects ! interface FastEthernet0/0.2 description Student VLAN encapsulation isl 2 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 no ip redirects

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reply to
opensource

"opensource" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.CertificationChat.com...

App isnt a VLAN it is just a single server connected to a interface on the router

the switch is connected to another interface on the router via a trunk, this switch has 2 vlans

STAFF STUDENT

i dont want staff and student to be able to communicate with eachother

However i want them both to be able to access application which is a single server connected to another interface on the router

Reply to
Christo

The you can use the same configuration, just configure ACL's to control the traffic. Also, what may be easier is just putting two NIC cards in the server and connect them to each vlan.

Reply to
opensource

Reply to
news_user

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.