VLAN interface IP

Hi all,

There is an IP address for the VLAN interface. VLAN is basically a group of computer sharing the same network address and subnet mask. The VLAN interface IP is like an address of no where. What is the purpose of the VLAN interface IP?

Thanks

Reply to
a
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

It's only for management purpose. (ping, access and configuration of your switch whith telnet/ssh/http)

Reply to
Sven

If it's a layer 3 switch than the vlan interface ip address becomes the default gateway for that subnet.

Reply to
BernieM

I think the so-called layer 3 switch is the integration of router and switch in the same box, right? So, the vlan interace ips are always the default gateway for the VLANs under the same switch. Am I right?

Is it for the VLAN "BernieM" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D :45b9b30e$0$3197$ snipped-for-privacy@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...

Reply to
a

yes.

yes but the vlan might just be getting trunked through the switch to another that has access ports in that vlan.

switch1--core switch--switch2--switch3

switches 1,2 and 3 might be assigned different vlans so vlan 3 (for switch3) needs to be trunked through switch2. For switch3 hosts to talk to switch1 hosts they use their default gateway which are vlan interfaces on the core switch. This example isn't necessarilly a good design I'm just showing how vlan interfaces are layer-2 adajacent to hosts uysing them but not necessarilly on their directly attached switch.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

switch1--core switch--switch2

simplified example of the same thing. switches 1 and 2 are layer 2 switches while core switch is layer 3 and has vlan interfaces for the vlans on switches 1 and 2.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Only two reasons:

1) If the switch is capable of doing layer 3 routing, then this can be the default gateway for that vlan

2) Management. For telnet, etc... or for routing protcols (again Layer

3 switching)

Otherwise, for layer 2, the vlan does not need an IP.

a wrote:

Reply to
johnhllrsr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.