using "physical-layer asynch" on serial interfaces

Reply to
Owen Roth
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I've got a bit of a blindspot here. One can configure a serial interface as an asynch interface with the command "physical-layer asynch", but when you do which line number is in control of the physical attributes of the line? Eg serial 0/1, which line number would one use to set the speed etc?

Yours confused, Paul

Reply to
John Smith

You should be able to see that using 'show line' command.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Hi Paul,

Congrats on passing the test!

"To map the interface number to a line number, first multiply the slot number by 32, then add the unit number, and add 1: line number = ( *

32) + + 1."
formatting link
Can you even configure a line that's not set to async mode? Have to check it on the simulator. If you configured all the elements on the line that they asked, and no shut the physical interface, you should have been able to rev. telnet. Here's what worked for me:

int serial0/1 physical-layer async no shut

line async 2 stopbits 1 flowcontrol hardware transport input all modem inout speed 115200 no shut

int loopback 1 address a.b.c.d /32

telnet a.b.c.d 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: John Smith Newsgroups: alt.certification.cisco Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:49 AM Subject: Re: using "physical-layer asynch" on serial interfaces

Reply to
Owen Roth

sounds like our tests were very similair! i'm not sure why but I did pick line 1, (maybe I saw it in sh run), but at the end I did a sh line and next to line 1 it mentioned serial0/0, so i was fairly happy I got the correct one. Even after setting the loopback interface I couldn't reverse telnet to the modem though, and I can't work out what I've got wrong for that to fail. I had the usual

stopbits 1 modem inout transport input all

still, i passed the exam, it would be nice to understand why serial0/0 becomes line 1, is there a rule behind it?

Reply to
John Smith

Hi Owen, thanks!

Yes that looks pretty similair to what I did. Maybe I forgot a "no shut". Ah well, not to worry.

Regards Paul

Reply to
John Smith

and thanks for letting me know the rule - appreciated.

Reply to
John Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.