uk, ccna kit

hi, i will be getting some routers and/or L3 switches. I will practice on some simulators fiorst though, so I nkow whati 'm buying. At the mopment I really know very little, oter than what a router is(which I learnt recently!).

I am thinking of getting a 2611

but currently, i see some good offers. Like a 1*2503, and 2*2501, and a switch, for £250

And, a few 1603 routers for £50 though apparently 2500s are better for CCNA, they include allowing me to configure BGP, and perhaps other routing protocols that aren't supported by 1600 series.

- It notice that some of these routers, liek maybe the 2501, only have 1 ethernet port (is there a good site with specs and pics)? I don't think a router with one ethernet port is useful for practicing with.

And, I heard that it's improtant to be able to connect routers 'back to back' what do i look for in order for a router to have this facility?

how much should i be looking to spend? how many ruotesr should i be getting, should i mix and match like a 2600 with a 2501. e.t.c. I really don't know at all

thanks.

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

Looks like you are on your way. It is better to use the real thing than simulators. The 2500s are good (for the cost) for testing routing topics that are on the CCNA exam. The switch can be a different story (Cisco now considers its access switch the 2950, not the 1900).

Correct:

2 ethernet ports allow for MANY more configurations per lab Mixing a higher end router with a lower router allows for many of the same possibilities with lower cost

Warning: A 2500 can do BGP (in a test environment mostly) but BGP is not on the CCNA test.

Information: Back to back can mean over a serial cable. A 2501 or 2503s have 2 serial connections, 2600s are not a fixed configuration and may have a serial card.

Check which kind of switch you are getting.

The main diff between 2501 and a 2503 is an isdn connection. Without a simulator or an ISDN telco connection, its pretty much useless.

Reply to
kymwak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.