Two CCNA-related questions - subnets number and 3750 for practical

Two questions related to CCNA:

1. Todd Lammle's book keeps talking about the number of subnets being
2^[nb.of net bits], while all other works point to a different formula: (2^[nb.of net bits]-2). Who is right?!?

1. I have borrowed a 3750 from a friend, for a few weeks, in an attempt to use it alongside two 2514s I've purchased from eBay, for a three-router environment, for CCNA lab practice. The problem is that the 3750 has some different configuration options (port in L2 or L3, for example, etc.), that I wonder if it would have an impact on me learning the wrong way of doing things, compared to Cisco's requirements for CCNA. So - is a 3750 advisable to be used, or should I just forget about it?

TIA, Papi

Reply to
papi
Loading thread data ...

Answer to question 1: The "-2" refers to the two "unusable" subnets.

I'll let some> Two questions related to CCNA:

Reply to
Vernon Hardapple

Reply to
Vernon Hardapple

Thx, Toby (and all others), for the reply. Only after having seen your reply(ies) have I realized that this is not what I meant to ask: I knew both were correct, under ceratin conditions, based on the inclusion (or not) of subnet zero. What I should have asked should have been: as both parties make their statements sound definitive, what is the assumption under which - in lieu of specifics - one should answer such a question on a CCNA test? Or - differently put - are the CCNA tests now specific enough to allow one to respond correctly, by either spelling out the conditions, or providing an IOS version? Or - even more so - is there a default assumed (now this is hard to answer, as it relates to the IOS version - so probably even this question should have been formulated: if any specifics are missing, is there a default IOS assumed, that - in turn - would allow one to know that ip subnet-zero is "prebuilt" in the configuration, or not?!?).

Thx again - sorry for the confusion, papi

Reply to
papi

Hi Papi

Todd and the other books are both correct. It depends if subnet-zero is enabled or not. In the new CCNA exam I have heard subnet zero can be used to match the default in the IOS ver 12. older IOS and CCNA exams used NO SUBNET-ZERO. With no subnet-zero the first and last subnet could not be used hence the -2. I would check if subnet-zero is assumed in the exam though as I took my CCNA 2 years ago.

As for the 3750 it is a L2/L3 switch and not a standard router so if the commands confuse then just use it as a switch only. I have no experience of the 3750 so don't know if it's IOS or CatOS so can't advise further.

Regards

Toby

Reply to
toby

hi,

I remember having the same concerns before taking the CCNA. As I remember it there were no amiguities on the test. You understand the concepts so don't worry about it, they're not out to trick you and if they do ask you then they won't put both options in the answer.

Reply to
Phil Barkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.