T1 Fault Tolerance - Is it possible?

To all,

I work at a company that has 2 offices separated by approximately 5 miles. Each facility has it's own dedicated T1 access to our ISP. Our offices are connected privately through 2 T1's (multilinked). I am wondering if it is possible to create some type of failover so that if one sides internet T1 dies the traffic would route across the internal T1's and out the other locations Internet connection. There are also 2 dmz's created, one at each site, with servers providing external services to our sales reps and customers. If I try and create some type of fault tolerance would I be able to keep both DMZ's up and running? I'm not looking for detailed examples or time consuming responses as I know this isn't really the place. I feel confident I can pull it off it it's possible and some one can point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Carl.

Reply to
Carl Lovejoy
Loading thread data ...

Yes, its possible. There are a number of ways to do it. A lot depends on your existing infrastructure, routing protocols, security policy etc etc etc

The easiest may be to set up three three routers between the edge routers as static routes, and give the WAN link a higher administrative distance. If the main route fails, the routers will then pick up the static route and send traffic that way. When the main link comes back up, the routers will use it again.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Thanks a bunch. I'll digest what you've given me.

Reply to
Carl Lovejoy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.