Switch 56, ISDN, DSL, Frame Relay

Do all these services use the same telephone line?

If I have a dial-up service with an ISP, does it mean I am using switch 56? What is the difference between BRI and DSL? What do you call the internet access through a cable company? Could I subscribe to a Frame Relay for sending and receiving faxes and e-mails?

It's all so confusing from the end user point of view ...

What about the cable modem, is it a CSU/DSU unit?

Sorry about all these questions, but they are all related to the end user options for communication and any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
eager
Loading thread data ...

No

Big difference

Cable Internet

yes with VoFR

and e-mails?

Yes with Internet service

Either forget about all this definitions and just use available tecnnologies, or use Google or WikiPedia and become a "prodessional".

No, it's "Cable Modem" and nothing else.

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Cannot afford forgetting these definitions, on the contrary, have to memorize all for an entry level exam. Tired of theory and memorizing, need to see or understand where and how do these things apply in real life ... Google and Wikipedia do not help either.

Thanks for the reply

Happy New Year

Reply to
eager
  • Switch 56 is an early 90's digital hookup, the forerunner to today's ISDN network. Does not exist today.
  • BRI stands for "Basic Rate Interface" (BRI, 2B+D, 2B1D) - ISDN) configuration consists of two 64 kbit/s "bearer" channels (B channels) and one 16 kbit/s "data" channel (D channel). It's today's ISDN lines.
    formatting link
    * DSL stands for Digital subscriber line - a family of technologies that provide digital data transmission over the wires of a local telephone network.
    formatting link
    * Frame Relay... a lot...
    formatting link
    * Cable Modem
    formatting link
    * VoIP
    formatting link
    * Voice over Frame Relay
    formatting link
    and so on...

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

are you sure about that?

Thanks, my question was about real life examples; i.e., if i subscribe to BRI, will my existing phone line be enough, or do I need other CPE ...

Again, you are missing the whole point of my question. Let me copy and paste it again: "... Tired of theory and memorizing, need to see or understand where and how do these things apply in real life ... Google and Wikipedia do not help either."

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
eager

If you read WHOLE article, you will learn, what's use for one or another technology in today's life. Most articles describe use of a technology, and if not - find another article, then another. Do your homework yourself, don't cheat... :-)

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.