Setting mainframe access to 7206 CIP question

Hope you can answer this question guys.

We currently have a mainframe connection to a 7206 router via an ESCON connection to a CIP. We (obviously) have a CLAW statement defining that connection.

Many years ago, our hired consultant (I hesitate to say "expert") defined our mainframe at IP address 192.168.1.1 and needless to say this poor choice causes many configuration problems external to the mainframe.

The biggest problem is that when we have outside vendors wanting to use our VPN to get to our network, the 192.168.1.1 address that the VPN tunnels causes problems with just about every router out there. The time has come to remedy this situation.

My solution (as the mainframe guy) is to add another CLAW statement with a more "proper" IP address and support both addresses until all of the clients in our organization are moved (you know there are always a few people using static addresses rather than DNS). This appears to make more sense than just changing the IP address at 2:00 on Saturday afternoon.

Our network guy says that this cannot be done and to tell you the truth, I don't believe him. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Thanks, Neal

Reply to
Neal Eckhardt
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.