Serial ports

On synchronous serial ports, one side of the connection is the DCE side, the other side is DTE. The clock is supplied by the DCE side for both directions of communication. Normally, this is the responsibility of the communications carrier. (as in "the phone company"). If you get a crossover cable to connect two Cisco routers together, one end will be marked DCE. On most cisco routers, you can supply a clock, which is needed to connect to another router instead of connecting to the telecommunications carrier.

To see what the clock rate was set to, enter (for serial 0) :

show controllers serial 0

the first two lines will be something like:

HD unit 0, idb = 0x2B507C, driver structure at 0x2BC640 buffer size 1524 HD unit 0, No cable, clockrate 64000

If you are the DTE end of a serial cable, you cannot tell what the rate is. In theory, it would not need to be consistant, i.e. each data bit could be a different time relative to the previous, ie, one byte could be set at 32000 bytes per second, the next half byte at 64000, the next half byte at 16000, etc.

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc
Loading thread data ...

I have a 2501 router, can anyone tell me what the transfer speed for the serial ports are or at least how i can find out?

Cheers

Reply to
Mark Middleton

HI,

Clockrate should be 64000

-Nisha

Reply to
Nisha

Most serial ports are connected with X.21 which goes up to 2Mbit. I can't think of any serial local loop connection (apart from HSSI) which goes faster than 2Mbit.

The actual clock speed of an X.21 DCE connection on such a serial port can be set to 4000000 bit/s Which is about 4Mbit. So two Cisco serial connections can achieve 4Mbit back-to-back.

-Danny

Reply to
Danny Muizebelt

In interface config mode on the DCE side (found by show controllers serial 0) of a back to back connection just type ? after the clock rate command

interface serial 0 clock rate ?

Beez

Reply to
Beezneez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.