Routers for VLANs

I want to setup vlan routing for a test lab at home and found that none of the routers I have at the moment support encapsulation on the Ethernet port. I suspect this is because they are Ethernet and not fast Ethernet?

Anyone out there who can make a suggestion to which router would be best but I`m not after the all singing all dancing variety as I`m on a tight budget

Thanks

Gordon

Reply to
slipstream_242
Loading thread data ...

Get a 2610. I forgot which IOS release it started but you can do dot1q encap on the 10mbit port.

Reply to
ccs

are you sure i've read in several places you need 100mb and atleast a

Reply to
Larry Jones

"Larry Jones" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

It has nothing to do with the speed of the interface. Get af 1721 or better (1720 will not work) in order to do 802.1q.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

groups.google.com. It's been hashed here and at comp.dcom.sys.cisco many many times.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Reply to
Larry Jones

You can't. 1720 and 1750 won't do vlan encapsulation. You need 1721, 1751 or

1760. Read the product specs > I still can't set the encapsulation on a FE sub int on my 1750. what IOS ver
Reply to
Mike Dorn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.